Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

How about another NE England meet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about another NE England meet?

Righto then, 3rd of May it is.

I'm having second thoughts about the venue, it's a densely wooded dene. It looked great for landscape stuff last week, but the trees didn't have leaves on them. It's difficult to access the best spot for shots because of the steep sided terrain. Also it's popular with trippers so it will be busy unless the weather is dire.

I think the general area is good for people to get to. Other stuff within 25 miles would be Nenthead mines (rare flora, interesting industrial remains - good for desolation type stuff), Roman Wall (That Tree, Walltown quarries. A bit stereotyped really), Blanchland/Allendale (pretty town stuff). Probably a couple of those more local will have some ideas also.
    John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Having just been for a stroll along Allen Banks today I'm pretty sure it'll be a poor venue - not much to distinguish it from any other heavily wooded steep sided valley and LOTS of people.

How does old mining stuff at Nenthead/Killhope and maybe Alston with its steam railway sound?
      John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery

Comment

Looks really good John
        My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Yes. Sounds like that's a good choice jdal.
          Too many cameras!
          E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

As chance would have it the 3rd May is an open day at Nenthead mines, this is from their website:
            "We open the site from 1030 to 1700 on Open Days. Mine trips start at 1045, 1215, 1345, and 1515. You need to arrive 15 minutes before the start of your mine trip. The mine tour runs for about 90 minutes. Tea,coffee, cakes and books are available for sale. There are toilets on the site.
            You can book a place on a mine trip by either emailing admin@nentheadmines.com or by phoning 07718385646. We need to know your name and the number of people in the party. We ask for a donation of at least £5 per person to help towards the cost of opening the mine and buildings."

Website

How about booking on the 12:15 trip? I need numbers, so far I have 5:
            jdal
            byegad
            greg
            ralph
            chris
            John

Flickr gallery

Comment

Sounds good jdal. How many do they need to make it viable?
              Too many cameras!
              E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Comment

They don't say. It's not a special thing for us though, I think they they are volunteers and sitting around on open days anyhow. Have a look at the website.

To everyone who's going - Shall I book 5 places?
                John

Flickr gallery

Comment

Given I walk with a stick and have not 100% balance, will I be able to do the tour? I'm usually OK on anything but very rough ground so my guess is I'll be OK. Unless you know differently.
                  Too many cameras!

Comment

Hi there John!

It sounds good to me, do you have any idea what sort of time yet?

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Byegad - I'll get in touch with them re what kind of trip it is. There are decent paths around the site - I've done a botany trip there.

Ralph - I was going to book the 12:15 trip
                      John

Flickr gallery

Comment

Hi there John!

That's great - I can get there earlier if people want to meet up before hand, any time after nine is good for me, although I can get there earlier if need be.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Book me a place please John

Greg
                          My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Hi, sorry been away for a few days. Yes that sounds good for me as things stand at the moment And it should be interesting as it's a few years since I last was at the Nenthead mine, and there is plenty of outstanding scenery enroute if anyone wants a little explore of remote moorland roads and vistas - see my recent Facebook posts if you want an idea of the scenery nearby including https://www.facebook.com/JustSwannin...00838076625472
                            Regards Chris
                            If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
                            or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

I've heard back from the group that run mine tours, here's the salient bits of the mail:

"The walk to the mine is on a rough gravel track for about 200 metres. The mine itself is level walking on ballast between narrow gauge railway track. It includes climbing three companionway ladders to exit the mine.

If you wanted to concentrate on photography, it would probably be best to restrict the numbers to your group alone. Bearing in mind the volunteers time and the potential loss of other visitors donations, we might ask for a donation of around £40. "

So what do we think - £8 for a tour round inside the mine workings? I'm up for it.

I'm sure that afterwards we can wander round outside to our hearts content getting shots of the industrial stuff.
                              John

Flickr gallery

Comment

Very accommodating of them, I am happy with that John.
                                My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Working...
                                X