Backpack Offer, Shipping Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backpack Offer, Shipping Now

Lol, your right. I must admit that I have been toying with rolling it around in the dirt a little and sticking some gaffa tape over the oly logo Although this style of bag always shouts "laptop backpack" if not about the camera inside. Locking the small flap sounds good. Perhaps a small padlock - its a shame the zip doesn't have padlock holes like the main compartment zip.
    Phil

Comment

I must live in a parallel universe from some of you guys!

Or is that outside London!

I'm always very careful with my things & weigh up the risks very carefully I hope. I've never been stolen from in the street and use basic surveillance tactics to keep aware of the space around me. Sense usually triumphs over panic I find - so my lovely Oly bag with its cat flap access which is so handy - will remain as is - with one or two minor, unobtrusive but effective, additions to security.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post
        I agree, I wasn't too happy with the Logo clearly visible for all to see advertising what was inside

If going in a public place it might be a good idea to put a tywrap on the cat-flap. It may deter a casual thief looking for a quick snatch.

Steve
        It was free though wasn't it...? If you don't like it, perhaps sell it...? I think you're being a tad unfair to Olympus there to be honest.
        John

Comment

Let's face it - however convenient they are - back-packs are not really city wear.

Imagine, you are strolling down the crowded High Street, you see something you wish to photograph, your athletic body twists smoothly out of the backpack and you lower it to the ground. In this time one pensioner and a child in a buggy have been 'mysteriously' swept off the pavement into the path of the rush-hour traffic.

Great you think, a chance to do real photo-reporting, you lay your backpack down, unzip it to remove your camera and select the lens.

Pleased, in anticipation of your new reputation, you raise your camera to your eye, unnoticed by you the first para-medic to arrive trips over your now resting pack and knocks himself unconscious on the pavement.

... That evening all the news reports cover 'Carnage in the Town Centre', the pictures are all from mobile phones.
          Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
          www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver
            I am not complaining and I am not being unfair to Olympus. I am just stating a fact.

There's always one whinger isn't there.
            Sure you are complaining Wreckdiver!

Do you think it unfair that Olympus have their logo emblazened over the E-Series kit backpacks they are giving out as a free promotion? I don't, and I wouldn't have complained about it even if I didn't agree that it should be there. The backpacks are free promotional gifts from Olympus, and I am grateful to them for this. Personally, I think the bag is well made, spacious, sturdy, and strong.

Oh and I assume the 'whinger' you refer to is you... I am not the one who started the complaining, and about free gifts too!!

Why bicker and nit-pick...? you have your free bag yeah...? Go on, pop out and use your camera, take some great pics... I am in London today but have the camera with me for some (hopefully) free time I'll have later when waiting for my train at Paddington again. Enjoy
            John

Comment

Lets face it if you a bag of this type, be it a Tamrac, Lowepro, Kata, or the Olympus bag you haven't bought it to carry your sandwiches. You could use any bag but if your seen taking a DSLR out it your advertising what you have in it and is just as likely to attract thieves, so the name doesn't make much difference. I take the same amount of care with my camera bag as I would with which pocket I put my wallet in crowded places. I'm very pleased with my backpack and IT WAS FREE!! How many of use would have bought this bag if it hadn't been offered with the E-3. I could have waited and maybe the price of the E-3 will come down, but I for one are extremely happy with my E-3 and both of the free items.
              I have a couple of other bags including the Lowepro E-system bag and choose the bag to match where I'm going and what sort of photography i expect to be doing.
              So thank you to Olympus providing two good offers with the E-3

I've not seen similar offer from the competitors with ther latest DSLR's?
              Derek

www.dncphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post
                I agree, I wasn't too happy with the Logo clearly visible for all to see advertising what was inside

If going in a public place it might be a good idea to put a tywrap on the cat-flap. It may deter a casual thief looking for a quick snatch.

Steve
                Pardon my ignorance, but wot is tywrap?
                I have been using mine instead of the slingshot 300. Must say I prefer the oly bag. Yep, the inside is a bit gaudy but it carries nicely on the back.
                Dave.
                sigpicDave

Comment

I believe a tywrap is a brand of cable tie. The little plastic 'zip lock' cables that are used by police/military as makeshift, highly effective, handcuffs all over the TV. They also have some other uses...
                  Phil

Comment

Originally posted by emirpprime View Post
                    I believe a tywrap is a brand of cable tie. The little plastic 'zip lock' cables that are used by police/military as makeshift, highly effective, handcuffs all over the TV. They also have some other uses...
                    Phil
                    If you have old type hubcaps you can use them to secure them and to deter the casual hubcap nicker.

A little padlock or two also works wonders on the backpack

Comment

Originally posted by E-1 fan View Post

A little padlock or two also works wonders on the backpack
                      Yep - tells everyone that it contains something more valuable than your spare underpants and, unless the padlock has a closed hasp, can be cut with a small pair of croppers.

Nick
                      Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                      www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Ah well - I'd better hire an ex SAS bodyguard to walk behind me and protect my valuable E1 and cheap lenses when I deign to visit pickpocket city then

Comment

Anyone else still waiting for their backpacks? I had an email on the 16th Jan saying they were being distributed in the next 2 weeks but I'm still waiting. I've emailed twice but not had a reply.
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by OlyFlyer View Post
                            I like my Lowepro Mini Trekker AW better. I think it is more flexible and not screaming "STEAL ME PLEASE!" like the Oly. Especially the flip opening at the bottom is something I would not like to travel with. Pickpockets just LOVE that kind of design, so I suggest you all be carful when visiting crowded places. Also, the colour of the interior is terrible IMO, but that is a matter of taste.

But all in all, if I hadn't already had the Lowepro, I would probably keep the Oly. Now I don't know, not so sure. Anyway, I only expected the grip, and when the large and heavy box arrived, I immediately sensed something was "wrong". When i opened the box, it contained the grip AND the backpack. Nice surprise.
                            Just a follow up on this...

About two weeks ago I sold my bag on a Swedish auktion site. As I said, it is a nice bag, but I have one I like more, so I decided to sell. The money I got for it is more than I expected and is a nice rebate on the E-3 price. Next one to go will be the grip, and if I sell that as well, I believe my body price is down at about the same price level as from US...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X