Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oly bags

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
    Thanks for the info Ian. I am curious though as to what the issue might be that causes the grip to fail when used with these batteries...? Have Olympus given you any indication...?
    No inside info on the technicals, but I have seen some similar issues in other cameras when using AAs. I never managed to get any of the Sigma SD9/10 DSLRs I had on review to work with NiMH rechargeables properly, but alkaline AAs were OK.

Of course there are voltage differences - all three types of battery operate at different voltages (1.5V for alkalines, 1.2V for NiMH rechargeables and 7.2V for lithium ion rechargeables), so I can only guess that the batter ydetection system is not properly calibrated for AAs, which points to a factory problem.

When using heavy duty alkalines (Duracell Ultra M3) I'm pretty convinced that the battery status system is simply wrongly calibrated. But I'm not so sure about some types of standard alkaline, as when I tried these the camera wouldn't even power up properly. Lithiums have around 8 times the capacity of alkalines but these behaved in exactly the same way as the Ultra M3s - you can take a handful of shots, then the battery depleted sign stops play. Power off and back on immediately and the battery indicator says full capacity - but only for a small number of shots.

I couldn't get my NiMHs to work - the battery indicator showed flat from initial power up. My only hope is that my NiMHs are a bit of a mixed bag of old and new, os maybe with a carefully cared for new set things might be better.

What's the solution? Good question - probably a firmware upgrade. But I suppose the AA battery holder could be modified as well - pure speculation on my part though.

Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      Unofficial indications from Olympus are that the AA battery functionality problem is due for a fix fairly soon. My only worry is that NiMH rechargeables aren't, as far as I can see, mentioned as compatible; only alkalines and Lithium type batteries. But we will find out sooner or later.

Ian
      It's true that NiMh are not mentioned in the literature and we can hardly complain if they don't work. However the LBH1 with 3xCR123As is an official replacement for the BLM1 (it's supplied in lieu of the BLM1 in some E500 SE kits to keep the price down) so should presumably work. My LBH1 works in the E3 but not in the grip. Have Olympus said anything about that please? CR123As are quite widely available, though less so than AAs, and make a viable alternative in emergency. Being lithium they may have a longer working life.
      David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Got an email from Olympus today stating that I should receive my bag within two weeks.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Ijay37 View Post
          oops sorry these batteries only work for a few minutes!
          John
          Why should rechargables not work on FL-50. My FL-36 works fine with 2 NiMH batteries. It also works fine with Litium and Alkaline.

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn R View Post
            Why should rechargables not work on FL-50. My FL-36 works fine with 2 NiMH batteries. It also works fine with Litium and Alkaline.
            NiMh work OK in my FL50. I thought the problem was just with the HLD4.
            David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Working...
            X