Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

What do you want Oly to release at Photokina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want Oly to release at Photokina?

Rumors have abounded since March / April that Olympus next OM-D will be full-frame using the Sony E-Mount (and one assumes one of Sony full-frame sensors) and be backwards compatable to the old OM lenses I assume through an adaptor.
    This would definately fit with the moving-up of consumers to more expensive larger format cameras to put distance between smart phones, Sony themselves are rumored to be annoucing a fixed lens camera using the medium format sensor that Hasselblad, Phase One & Pentax have adopted that Sony makes (50MP). The 36MP sensor in the Nikon D800/810 and in the Sony 7R is truly and outstanding sensor and with Canon supposedly annoucing the 7d replacement with a high megapixel sensor Olympus have to keep their options open (and Sony as a major shareholder).

Re: What do you want Oly to release at Photokina?

I'd love to see Olympus Viewer 4 with WiFi "tethering" to a laptop that Lightroom watches.

OI.Share on PC would be nice...

Upload and download of all the camera settings to a PC so that adjustments can be made without having to use the camera.

Flash guns that have a 6v power supply socket, rather than the high voltage socket that very few people will ever use.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Nova Invicta View Post
      Rumors have abounded since March / April that Olympus next OM-D will be full-frame using the Sony E-Mount (and one assumes one of Sony full-frame sensors) and be backwards compatable to the old OM lenses I assume through an adaptor.
      This would definately fit with the moving-up of consumers to more expensive larger format cameras to put distance between smart phones, Sony themselves are rumored to be annoucing a fixed lens camera using the medium format sensor that Hasselblad, Phase One & Pentax have adopted that Sony makes (50MP). The 36MP sensor in the Nikon D800/810 and in the Sony 7R is truly and outstanding sensor and with Canon supposedly annoucing the 7d replacement with a high megapixel sensor Olympus have to keep their options open (and Sony as a major shareholder).
      Olympus IS full frame, in that the lenses cover the entirety of the sensor, unlike Canon or Nikon, where they have two lens mounts according to sensor size. I think you must mean 35mm equivalent.

I can see little or no commercial advantage for Olympus to make a physically-larger sensor. They are a small company who don't have the resources to develop a complete new system.

Any improvements will be in viewfinder resolution, improved dynamic range, and reduced sensor noise. And of course focus speed when using "old" lenses.
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Well, if we are playing fantasy games:

1. Stephen mentions the viewfinder. I'm not too worried about resolution, but I would REALLY like it to be more responsive. A lot more responsive. And have the ability to be brighter - even when it's inside the camera as with the OM-D it can be hard to see on sunny days.

2. Address a long-standing weakness in Oly's cameras - better battery management. The in-camera charge indicators seem to be pretty much random, and the chargers are no help at all. Hahnel make chargers that provide useful charge level indications so Oly ought to be able to. Or even just outsource them.

John

Comment

[QUOTE]I can see little or no commercial advantage for Olympus to make a physically-larger sensor. They are a small company who don't have the resources to develop a complete new system./QUOTE]

Quite, and to be honest such has been the improvement in M4/3 sensor technology over the past couple of years I see no point. There are many pro's now using M4/3 and when they need larger files are skipping 35mm sensors and going straight to medium format digital, be it purchase or daily rental.

Of course there are still plenty of 'pro's & enthusiasts' using 35mm based digital but the number now using M4/3 is growing and as MF digital has fallen considerably in price it is becoming a more attractive proposition. With regard to the latter, in 2009 I went 'mad' and bought a Hasselblad H3D mk2 39mp for £16k ….. yep £16k. A year latter I realised that 'I' didn't need that level of resolution and concerned about depreciation if I had it too much longer decided to sell it via the Pro Centre, I can buy the very same camera now for circa £5k

It's still a force to be reckoned with, the detail is staggering, it's 50mp replacement can be bought new for under £10k and the new Pentax 645 for £6k so to me at least I see no long term future in 35mm sensor size. Olympus should just forge ahead with M4/3 improving wherever and whenever they can, leave Canikon to battle it out in 35mm.

Regards, Simon
          “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
          ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Simply keen to see the much promised new zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8, and the 300mm f/4 actually available and in the shops this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Invicta View Post
              Simply keen to see the much promised new zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8, and the 300mm f/4 actually available and in the shops this year.
              Indeed, that would be great. I have heard that the 40-150 F2.8 will be launched
              at Photokina but the other two will not arrive until next year, lets hope they come in the first quarter, maybe wishful thinking though

Regards, Simon
              ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Oly has pinned its colours to the u43 format and that's a completely rational thing to do. A 24x36 sensor would totally undermine that positioning and also leave Oly wth a very big lens range hole to fill. It won't happen IMHO.

Oly should address what weaknesses remain in u43:

- Properly fix tracking AF
                - Improve noise, esp at low ISO
                - Improve EVF lag
                - Add full electronic shutter

These to me are the things I'd like to see at Photokina.
                Paul
                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

I'd go with Paul's suggestions too.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

A tilt/shift 7-14mm or a couple of tilt/shift primes.
                    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I suspect Paul is right. Improved tracking and maintaining of focus is evident already. My E M10 is much better at getting birds in flight than my EP3, the E M1 is supposed to better again. So the days of on sensor Phase detection is already here and open to further improvement. Cracking that will make m4/3 even more attractive.

As is I am already very pleased I bought into the system, the rash of third party (As in not Panasonic and Olympus, the founders.) lenses and camera bodies either launched or announced makes it a very attractive format already.
                      Too many cameras!
                      E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                        A tilt/shift 7-14mm or a couple of tilt/shift primes.
                        Now that's an attractive proposition David

Regards, Simon
                        ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Simon, I wish I'd kept my OM shift lenses, I could have picked up a cheap 35mm frame Canon or Sony to use them on. I've been doing a lot of architectural work as part of my job over the past few months.
                          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

StephenL.
                            36X24mm is commonly called full-frame referring to the film format so yes I did mean that.
                            I'm not a bystander on this subject working professionally in motion picture for thirty five years and involved in the development of CMOS sensor based cameras & lenses currently at the cutting edge of technology. The fact is larger sensors are comparatively falling in cost and regardless of how good the 4/3rds sensors are they still have disadvantages over larger format sensors. Olympus designed their m.4/3rds lenses as telecentric as they could but they still have limitations and the image circle still means certain wide angles shade in the corners and have lateral chromatic aberrations. The 4/3rds system also uses an optical stack at roughly 4mm as opposed to Leica at 1mm for 36X24mm or Canon/Nikon at 2mm. Small pixels also currently limit the maximum dynamic range which in Olympus case is less than 12stops. Over sampling or mixing small & large pixel sites is easier on a larger sensor to extend dynamic range obviously you simply have more to play with although mixing pixel pitch makes it harder to optimise nyquist for maximum resolution.
                            The work Fuji/Panasonic are doing on organic CMOS sensors or Sony curved sensors or organic on plastic means the coming years will see constant change and we're look back and see current offerings have shortcoming particularly addressing highlights.

Comment

Simon Bee
                              Actually the growth of M.4/3 and compact system cameras has stalled globally at around 18% of inter-changeable lens cameras. All segments have declined over the last two years and whilst the UK & the Far East especially Japan have embraced CSC cameras North America has doggedly stuck with DSLRs.
                              If you go to www.cipa.jp the combined sales figures for point & shoot, CSCs and DSLRs are updated monthly with previous months & years available. They also publish lens sales separately both show volume, % against previous year & value in yen.

Comment

Working...
                              X