Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Is your registered email address up to date?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP! Is your registered email address up to date?

    As part of the programme of work to refurbish the site, we're sifting through the all the forum accounts to weed out spammers and inactive users.

    A message sent to all members has just been sent out to inform everyone of our plans.

    One issue we want to tackle is out of date email addresses. If we get emails bounced from mailings to forum members we will do what we can to get that user to update their details but if this is not possible, the account will be placed on probation and will be at risk of being closed. Evaluation of each account will be carefully done as we don't want to close accounts of those who are valued members.

    Tapatalk users

    We have a number of Tapatalk users and I would also like to encourage them to update their personal profiles on the forum if they haven't already. It's not mandatory when registering via Tapatalk.

    Personal profiles

    I know some of you deliberately avoid filling in the personal details section of their profiles, but I urge you to rethink. We don't want your life's history or a level of detail that you may feel is a security risk or even an invasion of privacy. You have joined a discussion forum and if you hide all details about yourself it's not a great sign that you want to be involved fully in forum - which I'm sure you are!

    Any questions - just let me know!

    Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

    News just in! 402 account holders bounced this morning's newsletter and so have non-functional email addresses, which is not too bad as I'm sure that a fair number of these are from people who no longer use the forum and it's comfortably under 10 perceny of all registered users.

    But if you are receiving this and you didn't receive the newsletter it means your registered email address is incorrect. Please update it or you run the risk of having your account closed.

    So far I have only received two responses requesting their accounts be closed because they no longer use Olympus gear.

    Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

      After doing some activity analysis, it looks like we have at least 900 inactive accounts - these accounts have never had any posts resulting from their registered users and are accounts registered before this time last year.

      I will attempt to contact the account owners and if no response is received the accounts concerned will be deleted.

      Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

        Am now attempting to contact those account holders that haven't yet posted even after 6 month since they registered and getting a good few responding and saying they wish to continue their membership

        Ian
        Founder and editor of:
        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

          My registered email address is up to date.
          I have not been active in the group since originally joining shortly after acquiring my used M-5 camera but would like to become a more active member.
          I have now several m4/3 lenses of various makes and have recently added two new m4/3 bodies: both LUMIX. I have had two fixed-lens LUMIX cameras, the first bought in Germany where I was living at the time.
          Both m4/3 LUMIX cameras I bought used at bargain prices for certain features. The first was a G5 which I have converted to a near IR camera. The second is a recent purchase, a GX7 whose viewfinder and remote control features I really like.
          My current favourite combination is the M-5 with an Olympus f2.8 60mm macro, despite the awkwardness of the focussing system. Since both body and lens are "sealed", this combination was particularly well suited for a week on the beach in South Carolina, USA.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

            Originally posted by pianonut View Post
            My registered email address is up to date.
            I have not been active in the group since originally joining shortly after acquiring my used M-5 camera but would like to become a more active member.
            I have now several m4/3 lenses of various makes and have recently added two new m4/3 bodies: both LUMIX. I have had two fixed-lens LUMIX cameras, the first bought in Germany where I was living at the time.
            Both m4/3 LUMIX cameras I bought used at bargain prices for certain features. The first was a G5 which I have converted to a near IR camera. The second is a recent purchase, a GX7 whose viewfinder and remote control features I really like.
            My current favourite combination is the M-5 with an Olympus f2.8 60mm macro, despite the awkwardness of the focussing system. Since both body and lens are "sealed", this combination was particularly well suited for a week on the beach in South Carolina, USA.
            Thanks for letting us know

            Now you have a forum post under your belt, may it be the first of many!

            Ian
            Founder and editor of:
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

              It's nice to report that more members are requesting that their inactive accounts not be closed than those confirming they no longer want to be members

              Ian
              Founder and editor of:
              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                Surprisingly, I got the email this morning. I was going to call it spam but I'd better behave myself on here.

                I could have got banned from Toilet Paper this morning after a rather inflammatory post about someone being more concerned with getting shots than the welfare of the birds or the law about Schedule 1 species.
                It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

                David M's Photoblog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                  What's classed as inactive Ian? I recently came back with a post after a few years of inactivity, although I did still look in. I would have been disappointed to find I'd been deleted!
                  I can be very active on some forums, but on here because I don't get out much with the camera, and a reluctance due to (lack of) skill level, I seldom feel I have anything useful to contribute to discussions, hence my low post count. I still find it an incredibly useful and friendly place though.
                  Junk on Flickr
                  Even more Junk on Instagram

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                    Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    As part of the programme of work to refurbish the site, we're sifting through the all the forum accounts to weed out spammers and inactive users.

                    A message sent to all members has just been sent out to inform everyone of our plans.

                    One issue we want to tackle is out of date email addresses. If we get emails bounced from mailings to forum members we will do what we can to get that user to update their details but if this is not possible, the account will be placed on probation and will be at risk of being closed. Evaluation of each account will be carefully done as we don't want to close accounts of those who are valued members.

                    Tapatalk users

                    We have a number of Tapatalk users and I would also like to encourage them to update their personal profiles on the forum if they haven't already. It's not mandatory when registering via Tapatalk.

                    Personal profiles

                    I know some of you deliberately avoid filling in the personal details section of their profiles, but I urge you to rethink. We don't want your life's history or a level of detail that you may feel is a security risk or even an invasion of privacy. You have joined a discussion forum and if you hide all details about yourself it's not a great sign that you want to be involved fully in forum - which I'm sure you are!

                    Any questions - just let me know!

                    Ian
                    Thanks Ian, but while I have continued to get email notifications, although there were a couple I didn't get in the last 5 hours, I didn't receive that broadcast message, so hopefully all will be well.
                    Ross
                    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                      Originally posted by Ian View Post
                      As part of the programme of work to refurbish the site, we're sifting through the all the forum accounts to weed out spammers and inactive users.

                      A message sent to all members has just been sent out to inform everyone of our plans.

                      ............

                      Personal profiles

                      I know some of you deliberately avoid filling in the personal details section of their profiles, but I urge you to rethink. We don't want your life's history or a level of detail that you may feel is a security risk or even an invasion of privacy. You have joined a discussion forum and if you hide all details about yourself it's not a great sign that you want to be involved fully in forum - which I'm sure you are!

                      Any questions - just let me know!

                      Ian

                      I understand a certain reluctance to reveal too many personal details but it is really useful to at least indicate approximately where members live as this can make a difference when recommending courses, good retailers or offering personal help. Information on present or past employment is always interesting as our members have a wealth of knowledge on all sorts of things.
                      Archie

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                        Originally posted by chris View Post
                        What's classed as inactive Ian? I recently came back with a post after a few years of inactivity, although I did still look in. I would have been disappointed to find I'd been deleted!
                        I can be very active on some forums, but on here because I don't get out much with the camera, and a reluctance due to (lack of) skill level, I seldom feel I have anything useful to contribute to discussions, hence my low post count. I still find it an incredibly useful and friendly place though.
                        We will only close accounts that are unresponsive to enquiries from us. Today's exercise targeted accounts that were at least 6 months old and had never posted to the forum. We've had a couple of dozen responses keen to stay as members, plus a slightly smaller number asking to be removed.

                        Ian
                        Founder and editor of:
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                          Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                          Thanks Ian, but while I have continued to get email notifications, although there were a couple I didn't get in the last 5 hours, I didn't receive that broadcast message, so hopefully all will be well.
                          It might be worth checking your spam filter?

                          Ian
                          Founder and editor of:
                          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                            Originally posted by Ian View Post
                            It might be worth checking your spam filter?

                            Ian
                            There's nothing appearing in the spam folder (yahoo), sorry.
                            Ross
                            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is your registered email address up to date?

                              Email has been received, so it seems all is well at both ends.
                              It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

                              Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X