E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Re: Four reasons why film photography is stupid

McAfee doesn't like the website!
      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
        Who cares what McAfee thinks! It's pretty safe visiting web-sites; unless you go downloading stuff explicitly you won't come to harm!
        Paul
        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
        flickr
        Portfolio Site
        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
          The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            Who cares what McAfee thinks! It's pretty safe visiting web-sites; unless you go downloading stuff explicitly you won't come to harm!
            Not always true
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive-by_download
            OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

And there I was thinking it was a serious piece of work.
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                And there I was thinking it was a serious piece of work.
                The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

David, the Emulsive website is a good resource to help with film selection.

https://emulsive.org/film-reviews

Addendum: I would also recommend Twitter for film photography, very active with hashtags such as #filmisnotdead #believeinfilm and of course #emulsive. Just search anything with film in the hashtag and you can't go wrong.
                  Steve

on flickr

Comment

I would add that the primary determinant is the lens. The camera body is nothing more than a light box with a method of regulating the shutter opening.

Ansel Adams once said the negative is the equivalent of the score, and the print is he performance. I don't think we should expect one of Mazart's concertos to be played equally well by the Royal Philharmonic, and an amateur bunch of musicians. It's the same with printing; the set of prints ordered at the time of processing are generated by a machine making exposure judgements based on negative density. For top quality you need an experienced print technician who can work with artistic judgement, based on the photographer's brief. Having your own darkroom would be beneficial, otherwise it's probably best to scan and print. (Have a look at Light Jet C-Type printing; digital scan printed on silver paper using laser light.)
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Steve, thanks for that, very helpful. I’m ashamed to say that one of my reels had been in the plastic canister for at least 12 years going by the subjects! The other was about three years in the camera. So I’ve got fresh film in both the Nikon 35ti and the XA so the next batches and will try again. I’m really keen that my new project is captured on film. Thankfully, I have a friend whose sole camera is an Olympus Trip and she produces extraordinary images, so have booked a tutorial.

Regards

David

Comment

David,
                        For colour Portra 160 of 400 are highly recommended - really nice colours and phenomenal tolerance to exposure, -1 to + 4 stops. Ektar is also recommended for nice colour pop.

For B&W there are many films to choose, HP5+ FP4 Delta 100, 400 and 3200 (expose for 1600 and develop at 3200), all Ilford of course, plus a host of others.

Film is definitely not deceased, it's alive and kicking a**e !
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                          Ansel Adams once said the negative is the equivalent of the score, and the print is he performance.
                          A clumsy way of putting it. My view is that the camera kneads the dough, processing bakes the bread.
                          My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                          The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                          On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Working...
                          X