Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Two additional Olympus M.ZUIKO PRO lenses to launch in 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two additional Olympus M.ZUIKO PRO lenses to launch in 2015

The 300mm f/4 looks similar in size to a ZD 50-200mm SWD, but maybe longer (although I expect it to be an internal-focus design).

The 7-14 f/2.8 looks very compact indeed (especially compared to the ZD 7-14 f/4) but is likely to be bigger than the Panasonic 7-14 f/4.

Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
      Anybody care to hazard a guess at just how big and expensive a 300mm 1.4 Pro lens is likely to be?

Ron
      That would be horrendously large & expensive, the 300mm f4 on the other hand might be a bit more manageable in size & price though.
      Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally Posted by bilbo
        Now the small question of price.
        Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
        Forget the idea of small (in price) though.
        Yep - I chose my words and their order very carefully
        Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

Exciting to see the completion of the Pro lens range now on the distant horizon.
          What I will find interesting is how well a native micro-four thirds 300mm Pro or indeed 40-150mm Pro lens performs with wildlife or more especially my interest of low level aviation, especially when trying to acquire the target at some distance.
          With my Sigma 70-200mm EXII APO the ideal is to acquire/lock-on to the aircraft at some distance, to then be able to track it into shooting range. This is relatively straight-forward with the Oly E-30 but has been a problem with the Oly E-M1, though with all my pre-purchase research it was clear that this might be the compromise that I had to pay. Once close too, and almost beginning to fill over half the frame, the E-M1 has been reliable in its speed of focus and its ability to remain locked on to target. However, the initial tracking or lack of is frustrating, as it jumps in and out of focus.
          So, the big question for me is, will the new 300mm or 40-150mm Pro lenses bring additional benefits in distance target acquisition and reliable lock-on as the subject is tracked in? If they do, put me down for potential debt issues! Trouble is, by the time they come out will we have any low level aviation left to photograph in the north?!!

Regards
          Chris
          If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
          or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo View Post
            Now the small question of price.
            They won't be cheap!

But for those on a budget (like me) there are already options such as the 9-18mm, 40-150mm f4/5.6 or 75-300mm.

This is brilliant, much-needed news for pros and those with deep pockets and will further strengthen the system as a whole.

PS Could this new committment be anything to do with Olympus's vastly improved projected financial results, reported this week on the Amatuer Photographer website?
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              They won't be cheap!
              I would expect the 300/4 to be very similar to the 50-200 in price and to edge it slightly on IQ
              E, Pen and OM-D bodies
              43 m43 and legacy glass
              loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

I think that I will just hang on to my 43rds 7-14mm and just live with the bulk. After all, I already have it and can use today, it is not costing me anything, and it is still a damn fine piece of glass. I am sure that in terms of optical quality the micro 43rds version won't be any better. The only thing that will be, is the size.
                The 300mm f4 does look nice but I will likely pass on it if it is going to cost big bucks. For the limited use I would get out of such a lens, the ability to hire kit like this from Ian is soooo attractive.
                Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

While the shorter flange/back distance does enable the optics to be shrunk, compact size could tempt Olympus to sacrifice absolute optical excellence - maybe not in terms of sharpness but possibly in distortion characteristics. Bigger optics usually mean less distortion and vignetting.

Ian
                  Founder and editor of:
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                  sigpic

Comment

I wish it wasn't taking Olympus so long to get these things into production - their mFT offerings at the long end (other than than the 75/f1.8) are currently a bit thin.

Having revealed the 40-150 last September I had hoped that shipments of it might start in time for my trip to Skye in June, but it looks like this won't happen.
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                      They won't be cheap!

But for those on a budget (like me) there are already options such as the 9-18mm, 40-150mm f4/5.6 or 75-300mm.

This is brilliant, much-needed news for pros and those with deep pockets and will further strengthen the system as a whole.

PS Could this new committment be anything to do with Olympus's vastly improved projected financial results, reported this week on the Amatuer Photographer website?
                      In one sense, this would appear to give Olympus a logical lens range for lower and upper lens performance/quality/price portfolios.
                      However, it would be interesting to see how Olympus price these new lenses as I would assume that the Enthusiast/Pro market is the ideal.
                      Are there enough Pros able to spend big budgets to warrant the development costs? Conversely, despite the worldwide recession there are a lot of Enthusiasts who are able to spend reasonable sums of money (witness the 19% increase [Oct-Dec 2012/Oct -Dec 2013] in mirrorless sales due especially to the E-M1).
                      But the digital camera market for Olympus is still in decline partly due to reduced sales in the compact and PEN camera ranges. And though Olympus Corporation can report improvements, its Imaging department still is the weak link.

Though the poor compact/PEN sales led to the current Olympus Net Sales target being unmet, the Operating Income target was met because the increased sales of 'high-margin OM-D products contributed to higher gross profit and lower cost of sales'.
                      So, the 'high margin OM-D products' will be critical to Olympus Imaging and the pricing of products will no doubt owe a lot to the real-life results of E-M1 sales.
                      These E-M1 users are likely to be the key users of the Pro lenses; how these Pro lenses add to the capabilities of the E-M1 and its future successors, and at what cost, will be the key to their success.
                      Within this band of E-M1 users, there must be the assumption that many users have upgraded from existing Olympus digital cameras, and that many of these will already have good four thirds mount telephoto lenses.
                      Therefore, the market for these Pro lenses is perhaps chiefly limited to those who are recent converts buying into the OM-D Pro system and to those might want to upgrade from four thirds mount lens to micro-four thirds. And for the latter, pricing plus performance gains will be critical, in order to justify the upgrade. I find the fact that Olympus have decided to bring out a 300mm f/4 fascinating as it's difficult to see the 'mass' market that would justify it at this stage of the OM-D development - but its development does at least tempt us to feel that all is good and getting better at Olympus Imaging!

Regards
                      Chris
                      (It must be wet and horrible outside - I fear I ramble!)
                      If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
                      or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                        I would expect the 300/4 to be very similar to the 50-200 in price and to edge it slightly on IQ
                        Where do I sign up?
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                          That would put it into the expensive but reachable target for me (AU$1500) & not over-the-top at double the price.
                          Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by catkins View Post
                            I find the fact that Olympus have decided to bring out a 300mm f/4 fascinating as it's difficult to see the 'mass' market that would justify it at this stage of the OM-D development - but its development does at least tempt us to feel that all is good and getting better at Olympus Imaging!
                            Really? For me (E-3 early adopter with 4/3 glass having only just bought into MFT with E-M1) the 300mm f/4 fills out a major hole at the top end. The 50-200mm SWD is a great lens, but for wildlife it doesn't really have the reach. I had a Bigma 50-500mm which had the reach but which did my back in!

A reasonably priced MFT 300mm f/4 prime will see me close to the front of the queue. I just won't put myself through the same early adoption fiasco we had with the E-M1 without major incentives!
                            Brian

Comment

These look highly desirable.

Anybody fancy joining me in a bank raid and we can split the proceeds to be able to afford them

I would love to see a 135 - 400, to give overlap with the 40-150, in the pro range. My Sigma 140-400 is excellent for safari etc. and an Olympus Pro version would be very welcome to top off this expanding range. I live in hope rather than expectation plus I probably couldn't justify the expense anyway

Hec
                              I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

credit card, in 2015 you will be taking a most horrible spanking.
                                My images on flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X