Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Rumors: Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors: Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

https://photorumors.com/2019/11/09/r...s/#more-116019

Dont know what to say apart from i hope not

Re: Rumors: Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

You may want to remove this 4/3 rumors say its crap

Comment

Originally posted by mik View Post
      You may want to remove this 4/3 rumors say its crap
      We'll let it stand, it may be of interest to some of our members.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Never a bad thing to be reminded the fragility of our commercial world.
        Mike
        visit my Natural History Photos website:
        http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

In another thread it says that the 'E-Fin' online camera store no longer lists Olympus cameras and lenses.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
            In another thread it says that the 'E-Fin' online camera store no longer lists Olympus cameras and lenses.

Jim
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Oops - I've just posted the same thing in the lounge. I don't want to be negative, but the harsh reality is we have a lot of camera manufacturers and a shrinking user base (especially in the West). Sad, if true - I hope Panasonic stays in small format.

Comment

I think that purchase and use of cameras will change much as computers did. You get a bubble alongside rapid product development but in the end there is a finite amount of money/interest/focus to any product in 'mass markets' and it becomes more about 'needs' than 'wants' in smaller niche markets. In the end I expect there to be fewer brands, less minor and style-led development with longer working-life expectations for a camera from the fewer people that want to make a purchase.

Does that serve Olympus? I would say yes. I think that size/weight, service and long-life are real 'needs' and the rush to full-frame is an example of following 'wants' and fashions rather than developing a real market niche.
                Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

I’ve not really considered the effect of something like this! Sure the camera and kit would go on working, but there would be nothing new to look forward to, although getting older and increasing financial restraints kinda kills that off anyway. So what’s the actual problem?
                  (not suggesting there isn’t one, just curious what others think).

Comment

So this is from their news release on 6 November.
                    https://www.olympus-global.com/ir/da...ts/ir00025.pdf

Olympus Corporation (the “Company”) hereby announces that the Company has resolved, at the meeting of the Board of Directors held today, to the formulation of our new corporate strategy ("Corporate Strategy") to achieve growth as a global medical technology ("medtech") company, in order to realize sustainable growth for the Olympus Group overall.

Focus the corporate portfolio
                    The Company’s business portfolio consists of (i) Endoscopic Solutions Division (ESD), (ii) Therapeutic Solutions Division (TSD), (iii) Scientific Solutions, and (iv) Imaging Solutions. The overall medical market to which ESD and TSD belong has high growth rates and operating margins, while the Company’s business in this market is maintaining sustainable growth with high profit ratios. Accordingly, we will regularly review our business portfolio, with active investment of management resources in our ESD and TSD medical businesses, where further room for growth is anticipated.

----
                    The imaging division hardly gets a mention other than that it exists. Page 26 - discontinue R&D on projects with low Return On Investment. Page 11 - the IMD (imaging division) has lowest operating margin.
                    All comment and criticism welcome
                    OMD-EM5ii : OLY 12-40mm f2.8 PRO : OLY 45mm f1.8 : OLY 12-50mm : OLY 60mm macro
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49831405@N06/

Comment

I don't believe that Olympus actually has a camera division. ISTR that cameras are part of their imaging division.
                      Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that Olympus has pulled the plug on an imaging division.

I thought the OM-D series had brought significant sales to Olympus but by the nature of the business margins will always be slim and product cycles short. Maybe the bosses at Olympus get bored when they are not innovating new product concepts?

If a decision has been made I suspect Canikon's belated entry into the mirrorless market might have influenced things.
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Just bought a Nikon Z50 kit, lovely camera lenses are sharp and it handles high iso very well, at the moment my testing would indicate AFC will not match the EM1MK11.

Comment

Will stay Oly till my outfit packs in, won,t ever go big, will pack in if no small option available.Always got me OM1 kit as a last resort.Hope they stay camera wise and go global shutter big time with a super duper camera.

Comment

Originally posted by mik View Post
                              Just bought a Nikon Z50 kit, lovely camera lenses are sharp and it handles high iso very well, at the moment my testing would indicate AFC will not match the EM1MK11.
                              I already have a Sony A7II kit to accompany my Olympus stuff, so no worries in terms of having something with a future. Oddly enough, Mr. Gear Head doesn't 'arf fancy the Canon M6 Mk II, but it's going to a while, I think, before I spend on anything else. I hope my EM1 Mk II will continue working for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Working...
                              X