X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rumors: Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Originally posted by timboo View Post
    Explains why you never got discount on a Nikon now :-0
    They wouldn't give me a discount on a Mitsubishi Lancer turbo nutter car either!
    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Just a thought - can't see smartphones doing serious BIF or sport or action photography any time soon. Perhaps that's why Olympus have been bringing out telephoto lenses and the E-M1x recently?
      Chris

Comment

Olympus officially deny rumours

https://petapixel.com/2019/11/14/oly...eid=fb9d81c160
        Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
        My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
        Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
        Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

Comment

Seeing various articles debunking the rumour now.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ol...-think-it-wont

I do think (speculate) we'll see Olympus slowly withdraw from low end system, at least in Western Markets. The latest E-PL is only on sale in markets where it will make them money. Realistically, I don't think Olympus has the muscle to trickle their best tech down to consumer products (as Canon, Nikon and Sony have done), so don't expect a Pen Light with hand held high res anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cariadus View Post
            Hi Simon, I sure am! Also some digital lately too, but mostly just snaps of the grandson - I have a P25 back for the H1 as well. This year I've made a conscious effort to get out with the large format gear and spend more time in the darkroom.

I think you're right about that - it does get to a stage where there is diminishing returns from 'upgrades'.
            Hi Roger,

That P25 back is excellent and of course you can swap it out for the film back too, so the best of both worlds. What L/F are you using? I have been thinking about an Ebony, actually I'm off to Japan for a couple of weeks at the beginning of December so may see what I can find in Tokyo.

The perpetual upgrades are a thing of the past for me as I'm not falling prey to them anymore .... wised up some time ago.

Cheers, Simon.
            Sharpness is a bourgeois concept
            ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
              The E1 was a remarkably good camera at the time and is still very good now in the way that is captures colour.

The manufacturers haven't really helped themselves by drip-feeding us with new technology and a few more megapixels in every new model rather than delivering real innovation and performance improvements.

However, the real problem is that the camera industry grew enormously on the back of digital in the early noughties, and it with the camera performance we have enjoyed for the past five years it would be nigh impossible to maintain that level of growth.
              Yes I agree Nigel, the market is saturated, ordinary folk have less and less disposable income and are making do with what they have or as in my case come to realise what they already have is more than good enough.

As far as DSLR's go I believe the E-1 chassis is as close to perfect as one can get and used within it's relatively narrow ISO range can still produce images that are very pleasing and of high quality. I rarely shoot film above ISO 400 so the E-1 'acceptable' ISO range is fine with me. Great camera, will never let it go and when the time comes that batteries can no longer be sourced or it gives up the ghost it will have pride of place in my display cabinet.

I'm off to Japan again early December and am quite tempted to take the E-1 with me
              ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                Just a thought - can't see smartphones doing serious BIF or sport or action photography any time soon. Perhaps that's why Olympus have been bringing out telephoto lenses and the E-M1x recently?
                True neither do I. Problem is the 'consumer masses' are not interested in either and those who are ( enthusiast/Pro ) are a very small percentage. So for now I predict that development in high end enthusiast/Pro cameras & lenses will continue but the R&D will be less and prices will rise considerably as the target market shrinks. Great to learn Olympus have come out denying the rumour.
                ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Northrup has added fuel to the fire and also claiming that Olympus is lagging behind in technology. To be honest I am getting a bit upset in what could very well be sabotage, attempting to crimple the upcoming Christmas sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueXKRA5gHww&t=2247s

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Ahh, clickbait Tony has jumped onto the bandwagon has he.

I refuse to watch anything he does nowadays. He always throws in something controversial just to get people talking about him again and, of course, posting links to his site.

Yes, people like that can be bad for the business they are supposed to be supporting and haven't got the sense to realise it ...... or they do it regardless, just for the clicks and revenue.

Comment

...and another:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/047109...-within-a-year
                      Published Nov 15, 2019| Gannon Burgett
                      Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                          True neither do I. Problem is the 'consumer masses' are not interested in either and those who are ( enthusiast/Pro ) are a very small percentage. So for now I predict that development in high end enthusiast/Pro cameras & lenses will continue but the R&D will be less and prices will rise considerably as the target market shrinks.

So it'll be very much like in the old film days. The camera companies seemed to survive those times
                          Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
                            So it'll be very much like in the old film days. The camera companies seemed to survive those times
                            Yes because smartphones didn't exist back then, therefore the 'masses' bought compacts 'on mass' and that's where the real money came from, now 'the masses' use a phone. We enthusiasts have always ( including back in the heyday of film ) been too small a target market to keep R&D and sales up or more importantly .... the company afloat.

I still believe ( sadly ) that the camera industry will look radically different within a decade to what it does now.

The rise of digital from the start of this century has been a god send for most manufacturers. Without it many would have gone under before we got out of the first decade. A film camera no matter how advanced is basically a light-tight box, to a greater degree it was ( still is ) the film that governed the quality. With the advent of digital, manufacturers were able to seduce most of us with a form of instant gratification that even the humble Polaroid could not provide. As the technology advanced and became cheaper we became hooked and eagerly looked forward to the next incarnation from our favourite brands, only too willing to toss aside what was a few months before our pride and joy, usually P/Ex for a pittance of what it cost and forking out even for the replacement than what the original cost.

Company overheads rise with each passing year, they need to sell more and more, yet the market is basically saturated, disposable income for many is far less than a decade ago, 'real' advancements in tech have slowed considerably ( not to be unexpected ) and folk are wising up .... why sell what you have now for usually 20 - 30% of what it cost and then spend 10 - 20% more than you originally paid for it on the replacement when in reality what you already have is 'more than good enough'. I wised up some time ago, perpetual upgrades are a sure way to deplete ones savings, instead I will be keeping what I have and putting my hard earned cash into my pension instead for it's not just camera companies that could be facing a bleak future, many of us could be too

It is good to hear that Olympus have come out to dismiss the rumour and I truly hope the 'whole' corporation has a bright future, not just the medical instruments arm.
                            ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ch-intensifies
                              Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

If hedge fund managers are driving things, anything could happen.
                                Mike
                                visit my Natural History Photos website:
                                http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X