X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rumors: Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Might not just be Olympus...
    https://petapixel.com/2019/11/12/nik...LKHjDkcdZTAv_Q

In 5 years time it might be the masses using phones and enthusiasts shooting film.
    (And yes, I am joking. It could well be that the days of the consumer level digital camera are numbered though.)
    Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
    OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
    cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by cariadus View Post
      In 5 years time it might be the masses using phones and enthusiasts shooting film.
      (And yes, I am joking. It could well be that the days of the consumer level digital camera are numbered though.)
      Hi Roger, hope you are shooting lots of film on that H1
      Those are good points though I wasn't 'joking' when I said similar a few posts back. I'm afraid it's just a matter of 'who's first to go and then who's next' and how long before the 'domino effect' really kicks-in.

Big companies need mass volume of 'consumers' to survive, a mediocre quantity ( by comparison ) of 'enthusiasts' and Pro's just won't keep the boat afloat any longer. The 'consumer' just needs a decent smart phone to be happy so I'm afraid the writing is on the wall. Of course the demise of traditional style digital cameras whether compact/DSLR/Mirrorless does not mean that those that are currently used will suddenly become defunct, just as the film camera has not become defunct.

I do believe there is a future for "a" traditional digital camera ( as opposed to a phone ) but that future lies with a much smaller manufacturer, with much smaller overheads, selling "High End" products at high end pricing to a select market who are prepared to pay for it ..... Leica.

I guess at the end of the day, does it really matter what we use to capture our images with? It's the end result that counts and surely that's what we wish to stand the test of time. We enthusiasts are often fiercely loyal to brand and/or format which I guess is only natural given what we have likely spent.

Another train of thought .... perhaps many of us enthusiasts are actually adding to imaging company woes? In so much as more and more of us are happy with what we already have and are fed up with the ever increasing cost of new models which more and more often are bringing little new to the table for the considerable extra amount of cash required to purchase such cameras. I know I am well past the so called point of perpetual upgrades, what I have now is far more than I 'really' need. Actually I am starting to use my E-1 more and more, the more I use it the more I realise .... " this isn't just 'good enough' it's actually 'more than enough' "

Simon
      “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
      ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
        Hi Roger, hope you are shooting lots of film on that H1
        Hi Simon, I sure am! Also some digital lately too, but mostly just snaps of the grandson - I have a P25 back for the H1 as well. This year I've made a conscious effort to get out with the large format gear and spend more time in the darkroom.

Another train of thought .... perhaps many of us enthusiasts are actually adding to imaging company woes? In so much as more and more of us are happy with what we already have and are fed up with the ever increasing cost of new models which more and more often are bringing little new to the table for the considerable extra amount of cash required to purchase such cameras.
        I think you're right about that - it does get to a stage where there is diminishing returns from 'upgrades'.
        Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
        OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
        cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0m3QxE...ature=youtu.be
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
            Cheers Graham, that was more like what I wanted to see/hear. Amazing how quickly rumours spread these days via the internet. Makes you try and remember what it was like in the days of ceefax and reliance on newspapers where any rumour would be spread at a far slower rate if it featured on that medium in the first place. On the flip side rumours can be quashed quicker with the internet.
            EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

Comment

Another train of thought .... perhaps many of us enthusiasts are actually adding to imaging company woes? In so much as more and more of us are happy with what we already have and are fed up with the ever increasing cost of new models which more and more often are bringing little new to the table for the considerable extra amount of cash required to purchase such cameras.

I know I am well past the so called point of perpetual upgrades, what I have now is far more than I 'really' need. Actually I am starting to use my E-1 more and more, the more I use it the more I realise .... " this isn't just 'good enough' it's actually 'more than enough' "

Simon
              The E1 was a remarkably good camera at the time and is still very good now in the way that is captures colour.

The manufacturers haven't really helped themselves by drip-feeding us with new technology and a few more megapixels in every new model rather than delivering real innovation and performance improvements.

However, the real problem is that the camera industry grew enormously on the back of digital in the early noughties, and it with the camera performance we have enjoyed for the past five years it would be nigh impossible to maintain that level of growth.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by timboo View Post
                Cheers Graham, that was more like what I wanted to see/hear. Amazing how quickly rumours spread these days via the internet. Makes you try and remember what it was like in the days of ceefax and reliance on newspapers where any rumour would be spread at a far slower rate if it featured on that medium in the first place. On the flip side rumours can be quashed quicker with the internet.
                My thanks also Graham.

I have posted a link on this site showing a video from camerlabs. It's pleasing to see the support being given to Olympus.

Just in case you may have missed it (30 minutes long):
                https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51745

B
                Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                  If there is a brand in danger of disappearing I think it would have to be Pentax. But the Olympus situation is worrying.

Ian

I'd say Nikon are the most vulnerable. Just about every other manufacturer has other, bigger, more profitable revenue streams. The rumour is, of course, a deliberate lie circulated by a number of mean-spirited losers and internet click-bait trolls who are so ignorant that they don't even know that Olympus doesn't have a camera division. How can you close down something that doesn't exist?

Why anyone on this forum gives any weight to these lies is beyond me.
                  Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
                    I'd say Nikon are the most vulnerable. Just about every other manufacturer has other, bigger, more profitable revenue streams. The rumour is, of course, a deliberate lie circulated by a number of mean-spirited losers and internet click-bait trolls who are so ignorant that they don't even know that Olympus doesn't have a camera division. How can you close down something that doesn't exist?

Why anyone on this forum gives any weight to these lies is beyond me.
                    Nikon has quite some financial clout behind it as it is owned by Mitsubishi Electric - I was very upset that I couldn't get cheap cameras regardless of spending millions on their airconditioning!

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                      Nikon has quite some financial clout behind it as it is owned by Mitsubishi Electric - I was very upset that I couldn't get cheap cameras regardless of spending millions on their airconditioning!
                      I never knew that about Mitsubishi owning Nikon. Mitsubishi A/C feature in just about every office block and lift motor room within London so defo make their money in that department.

:-)

Comment

What size sensor will suit a camera using 'smartphone technology' m4/3 or FF?

Comment

Robin Wong latest video: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m3QxEM2YY0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m3QxEM2YY0[/ame]

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

All comment and criticism welcome
                            OMD-EM5ii : OLY 12-40mm f2.8 PRO : OLY 45mm f1.8 : OLY 12-50mm : OLY 60mm macro
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/49831405@N06/

Comment

That'll teach me to take on face value what people tell me... One of Mitsubishu Electrics presentations included a raft of companies they "owned" rather than were minor share holders in and it included Nikon, dunno if that's changed in the last few years.
                              Paul
                              Walti_too - previously known as Walti

"I didn't get where I am today..."

Comment

Originally posted by Walti_too View Post
                                That'll teach me to take on face value what people tell me... One of Mitsubishu Electrics presentations included a raft of companies they "owned" rather than were minor share holders in and it included Nikon, dunno if that's changed in the last few years.
                                Explains why you never got discount on a Nikon now :-0

Comment

Working...
                                X