Rumors: Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rumors: Olympus to shut down camera division in less than 8 months

If I had a camera for every time a camera manufacturer was rumoured to be shutting down, yet still in business 5+ years later, I'd need a bigger house!
    Mike
    Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
    Flickr

Comment

I can’t see anything in the information they’ve published nor any mention of sources for the rumour they’ve created so I am ignoring it for now, especially as 4/3 Rumours seem so adamant!
      I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Rumours like these leave me conflicted, which may well be their purpose. On the one hand, they might have a fair basis. On the other, they might be malicious. A malicious rumour could be hugely damaging to its target.

That said, thanks to a bit of luck, and also due to my super power*, I did recently avoid being burned by Thomas Cook going under.

* Procrastination

Comment

Originally posted by Petrochemist View Post
          If I had a camera for every time a camera manufacturer was rumoured to be shutting down, yet still in business 5+ years later, I'd need a bigger house!
          Hmm. I think I need that bigger house.

Maybe it is a ploy to make us buy lenses and accessories whilst we can?
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I believe the modern commercial world is facing huge challenges and no business is immune from these challenges. If true it will be very sad though not entirely unexpected, it is my opinion that within the next ten years there will be no more than half the brands that are currently available.

Look at how the rapid development of the smart phone has basically killed off the compact camera market. We dedicated enthusiasts and to a similar degree the Pro's are a very small market, companies need 'consumers' and in large volume. These 'consumers' are really the vast majority of folk who have little interest in 'cameras' but want to be able to take a 'decent photograph'. This used to be covered by the compact camera, but 'hey' what 'ordinary consumer' needs one of those when their phone is always to hand and is able to capture a decent image 99% of the time. And these 'consumers' sure as hell don't want to carry around a 'Large' mirrorless camera yet alone a 'Gigantic' DSLR .... you get my drift.

Smart phones will likely kill off DSLR & Mirrorless just as they have compacts for as the market for such cameras continues to shrink ( and it is, even mirrorless is starting to suffer ) so the return on investment becomes less profitable, even unviable. I was once asked 'what are the three most important things for my business?' ... my reply was simple .... "Profit, Profit, PROFIT", without profit there can be no long term future for any business.

No matter the future for Olympus Camera Division I will continue to use my Pen-F and now 'ancient' E-1 until they work no longer.

As many of you may know I also use film cameras, and film sales & choice is rapidly increasing. It would be somewhat ironic if the smart phone kills off traditional style digital cameras and the last man standing in the room for 'proper' cameras is the film option, now there's a thought
            “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
            ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

IMHO people always overestimate the speed that the latest and greatest technology will kill off "old tech".

Yes, global numbers count and these will always be at the front of the queue for new investment monies.

But....
              How many people are still using
              - VHS Recorders
              - CD Players
              - Vinyl records. ... in fact these are increasing in popularity again.
              -
              - Film cameras
              - DSLR's

It takes more than one generation to pass before technologies stop being used.

Also, what's to stop the new AI technology that is being deployed in today's smartphone cameras being transferred across to cameras with better lenses?
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by bigsambwfc View Post
                Will stay Oly till my outfit packs in, won,t ever go big, will pack in if no small option available.Always got me OM1 kit as a last resort.Hope they stay camera wise and go global shutter big time with a super duper camera.
                If there are no small options in the future IF my outfit packs it in, I will most likely pack it in as well. I am sure there will be some other 3rd party that will continue this small sensor.

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                .......Also, what's to stop the new AI technology that is being deployed in today's smartphone cameras being transferred across to cameras with better lenses?
                BUT you still can't take a decent shot of the moon with a smartphone
                * Henry
                * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Now being spread by fstoppers (and goodness knows who else, probably Tony and Chesea next).

https://fstoppers.com/news/rumors-ar...ss-year-426631

Not a good time of year if it's false, in the run up to Black Friday/Xmas. Why no Oly Winter cashback this year to combine with BF deals and boost sales?

Comment

I like the Blog from this guy with his take on the subject. It does take some reading but I liked it. https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/20...-us-about.html

Ross
                    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

at nearly 74 years young and with a now dodgy ticker , I somehow get the gut feeling that my present gear will outlast me .. I do feel that this is probably a malicious rumour due to certain companies losing market share .. i.e go to any gathering of wildlife photographers and use your eyes to see how many have switched to olympus ,its almost akin to a FAD developing

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

https://camerajabber.com/olympus-deb...losure-rumour/

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                            That seems to be an earlier rumour dated 12/3/19. So many rumours these days, it's hard to keep up.

Ron

Comment

If there is a brand in danger of disappearing I think it would have to be Pentax. But the Olympus situation is worrying.

Ian
                              Founder and editor of:
                              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Glad it’s gradually looking like it’s not true. Here’s hoping for the EM1-III!
                                Certainly couldn’t go back to Canon, especially after deciding to charge the 7Ds battery and nearly broke my arm lifting the thing out of the cupboard. How I ever held that lot up to my eye all day long totally escapes me. Only talking about a 7D and 100-400 too, nothing exotic or useful!

Comment

Working...
                                X