Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rumoured E-M1 ii launch next week

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    I't won't help me. My EM-1 does all I need.

Harold
    Come on Harold! It isn't about what we need!

I know I haven't used all the tools available in my E-M1 yet, but I would like to try & do so with the Mk II though.

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I'd like the Mk II for a lot of the general tweaks, but it seems to be mainly aimed at pros for serious speed, which I don't often need. I suspect the price will reflect that. I was hoping the hi-res mode would be hand-holdable, as they said that was one of their goals. I guess it must be pretty good focusing with 4/3 lenses though. Whereas the E-M1 was a cert for me (still does most of what I need very well), I may have to pass on this one if it's too expensive. It's also a bit annoying to have a new battery format, as I've never had a problem with the existing one. Again, a sign of their pro intentions.
      Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

Bruce, One can only hope. Maybe it can be done later with a firmware update? At the end of the day something must be kept back for the em1 mk3.
        Kind regards mike
        http://www.wingsofnature.org

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb2 View Post
          At the end of the day something must be kept back for the em1 mk3.
          Kind regards mike
          Hand held hi-res would sit well if introduced in the M5 mkiii, thus further differentiated as the 'travel and landscape' compact body from the 'sports and speed' M1 mkii.
          Regards,
          Mark

------------------------------
          http://www.microcontrast.com
          Too much Oly gear.
          Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
          Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb2 View Post
            Bruce, One can only hope. Maybe it can be done later with a firmware update? At the end of the day something must be kept back for the em1 mk3.
            Kind regards mike
            No, they would have done it if they could. Originally they said they were hoping to get it down to 1/60, but with the the sub-pixel sensor movements for the multiple exposures, hoping for the IS to sort out hand movement at the same time always seemed a bit ambitious. The EM-5 III probably won't have the same processing power that's required for the absurd frame rates on the E-M1 II. It may well be of interest to me though.
            Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

The only thing that interests me with the mk ii is improved noise, DR and resolution (in that order). If it delivers then I'll get one (unless the price is stupid).

If it doesn't then I may pick up an e-M5ii for its hi res mode.
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                The only thing that interests me with the mk ii is improved noise, DR and resolution (in that order). If it delivers then I'll get one (unless the price is stupid).

If it doesn't then I may pick up an e-M5ii for its hi res mode.
                That will be nice for me too, but the greater improvement for me would be the cross type PD-AF sensor points (with CD-AF in hybrid mode) & over a greater area, not to mention that it will come with 121 AF points.

If I am able to come up with the cash for the higher price (also exacerbated with our lower dollar) then I would dearly love to get it as a kit with the 12-100 f4 lens as it would most likely serve me better than the 12-60 SWD lens I got earlier this year at a bargain price. The rest of the lenses would have to be what I already have now. I can see the kit going for about $3,500 here though (the 300 f4 lens is $3,300).
                Ross
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

I'm very keen to get one for the improved AF. In fact I have a pre-porder in on that basis. However, I may well reconsider if the price is at a stupid level. As the pound continues to fall, I think it is more and more likely to be at a stupid level.

I'm not yet quite sure what my own stupid level is, but if the camera is price much above the launch price of the E-M1 (say more than +20%), I may well cancel my pre-order. I have never really been that happy with C-AF on the E-M1 which is one of my main requirements. I think it worked better with the 50-200 than the 300mm f/4 for example. Perhaps I will solve that problem, if it arises, by giving up on Olympus and getting a D500.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                    I'm very keen to get one for the improved AF. In fact I have a pre-porder in on that basis. However, I may well reconsider if the price is at a stupid level. As the pound continues to fall, I think it is more and more likely to be at a stupid level.

I'm not yet quite sure what my own stupid level is, but if the camera is price much above the launch price of the E-M1 (say more than +20%), I may well cancel my pre-order. I have never really been that happy with C-AF on the E-M1 which is one of my main requirements. I think it worked better with the 50-200 than the 300mm f/4 for example. Perhaps I will solve that problem, if it arises, by giving up on Olympus and getting a D500.
                    Olympus has said it will be slightly up in price on the E-M1 (which may be understated), but if the BP drops more & "the price is at a stupid level" then so will all the other new cameras etc. as well. The fact that the Mk II will have 121 cross type PD-AF sensing points, it has to be a lot better than what we have at present on the Mk I, including with the 4/3's lenses.

After the reviews etc are done we will all have a better idea on how well it will suit each of us (cost per advantages etc).
                    Ross

Comment

• Re: Rumoured E-M1 ii launch next week

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                      Olympus has said it will be slightly up in price on the E-M1 (which may be understated), but if the BP drops more & "the price is at a stupid level" then so will all the other new cameras etc. as well. The fact that the Mk II will have 121 cross type PD-AF sensing points, it has to be a lot better than what we have at present on the Mk I, including with the 4/3's lenses.

After the reviews etc are done we will all have a better idea on how well it will suit each of us.
                      Good point! I'll just have to stick with my E-M1. Or take up fishing... Something cheap.

Comment

• Paul
                        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                        flickr
                        Portfolio Site
                        Instagram

Comment

I will have to wait, but am hoping next year will bring a price drop & a cash back like it was in May/June 2014 for my E-M1. We will see.
                          Ross

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                              I will have to wait, but am hoping next year will bring a price drop & a cash back like it was in May/June 2014 for my E-M1. We will see.
                              If they do launch with a stupid price I think this is quite likely as sales will be lower than otherwise.

Comment

If price gets that silly will be moving to another system and selling 90-250...

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X