Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

The new Pen-F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The new Pen-F

If I wasn't pretty near bankrupt from GAS this year I would consider it as a replacement for my EM5, which I usually use for street pics. The rangefinder placement of the evf and the ability to shift the focus points by moving thumb on the screen while your eye is at the vf would worth it. I suspect the price will fall later this year.
    Jim
    www.jim-mccabe.co.uk
    http://www.jimmccabephotography.blogspot.com
    (My Travels in Aus & NZ)

Comment

Originally posted by maccabeej View Post
      I suspect the price will fall later this year.

Comment

This will probably be a difficult choice against the E-M10 mkII for a street/travel/2nd body for many people.

It's also an interesting comparison with the new Fuji XPro2: they have improved that over the first version in several useful ways, but it is around 60% more expensive than the PenF and the screen still doesn't tilt - what were they thinking for a street camera?????????
        Regards,
        Mark

------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          So when are you getting your second M240, Steve?
          Don't tempt me, John I'd love an M246 (monochrome) but my next purchase will be a 50/f1.4 when I have funds!

Proof that I'm a two system user, today I'm out shooting with my EM5 plus PL25/f1.4, no other camera, just one lens. The M240 is very good, but can't match the 5 axis Oly stabilisation - horses for courses!
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

One question I have is that whether the off-centre EVF on the Pen-F will have a corresponding parallax error of the image? I mean, if it was an optical viewfinder, its position would have created the parallax in the manner of a true rangefinder camera. But the Pen F is not a rangefinder camera and the viewfinder is electronic; so, will it show the same image as coming through the lens or on the screen?

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
              One question I have is that whether the off-centre EVF on the Pen-F will have a corresponding parallax error of the image? I mean, if it was an optical viewfinder, its position would have created the parallax in the manner of a true rangefinder camera. But the Pen F is not a rangefinder camera and the viewfinder is electronic; so, will it show the same image as coming through the lens or on the screen?
              It'll be as if someone sliced off the hump on your E-M5ii and moved it, with all its wires, 4cm to the left! The image shown would remain the same.
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
                Very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
                  Very funny.
                  I was thinking I forgot parallax error in my recent photographic definitions post so,

Parallax error - the inability to parallel park while balancing a 600mm on the vehicles window sill while trying to keep a Coyote in the frame.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Stunning looking camera meeting the desires of street photographers, in camera creators and the image conscious. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a cult camera.
                    Paul

Comment

I noted that on the silver version of the Pen-F, everything on the top plate is silver, including the hotshoe and its cover. Nice. I wonder why Olympus did not think of making sliver versions of the complimentary FL-LM3 flashgun to go with it? Would have been a nice touch IMO.

Comment

I think they missed an opportunity by not including the "f" lens cap in the kits:

I can only assume that the F&R Lens Caps come as part of the lens, when in the box, otherwise there will be some comments:

PEN‑F 17mm 1:1.8 Kit

Our most extraordinary camera

This kit contains:

Camera Body (Silver)
                        M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:1.8
                        FL‑LM3 Flash

BLN‑1 Lithium-Ion Battery
                        BCN‑1 Battery Charger
                        Micro Four Thirds body cap (BC‑2)
                        Shoulder Strap
                        CB‑USB6 USB Cable
                        Olympus Viewer Software
                        Operating Instructions
                        Warranty Card
                        Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

The Zoome Frame button?

Looking at the pictures of the back of the Pen-F, it looks like it has a separate, dedicated button for the "Zoom Frame AF" (aka Super Spot AF) function. In the OMD EM5s, that function had to be assigned to a button.

Apart from the convenience of having a dedicated ZF button, can it also be used to assist manual focussing with a fish eye lens such as the Samyang 7.5mm? Being able to close preview part of the frame might help in even more accurate focussing than the huge depth of field already allows.

Comment

Is the official release ( or more specifically "availability") date confirmed as 29th February 2016 or is this not certain as yet?

Comment

I was told when I ordered mine should be available Fromm 22 Feb in Europe with a week later rest of the world. Guy from Olympus said it was being launched in Europe first for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
                                I was told when I ordered mine should be available Fromm 22 Feb in Europe with a week later rest of the world. Guy from Olympus said it was being launched in Europe first for some reason
                                Seems that people in the States already have them.............
                                Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Working...
                                X