OMD-EM10 Mark II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMD-EM10 Mark II

I like the AF targetting pad and wish I had it on my E-M5 Mk1 (I also wish they could implement a reset focus point to centre when you switch the camera off and on).
    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
    Learn something new every day

Comment

I know we're all used to them now, but the Oly menu system does need a serious going over, especially if they want to entice new users or people switching from other systems.... this is basically the same menu system I remember from the E-1, which off the top of my head I think was 2004.......

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
        (I also wish they could implement a reset focus point to centre when you switch the camera off and on).
        Do you have 'Set Home' set to the centre AF point position and assigned to a button? That way you only have to press one button to reset the AF point to your preferred position.

Ron

Comment

Robin Wong has posted one of his excellent 'real world' reviews of the E-M10 ii here. I find them much more useful than some of the other technical, spec-filled reviews and I really like his photographs.

Ron

Comment

I thought the E-M10 Mk II was a relatively modest upgrade. The difference between the E-M5 mk I & II is quite large but not so with the E-M10. I wonder if many users will make the switch ?
            Be nice, do your best, don't fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermboy View Post
              I thought the E-M10 Mk II was a relatively modest upgrade. The difference between the E-M5 mk I & II is quite large but not so with the E-M10. I wonder if many users will make the switch ?
              It doesn't seem as large an upgrade due to the original E-M10 having a number of features that were subsequently included on the second iteration of the E-M5.

I'm considering an upgrade FWIW.

Comment

Yes, I like his reviews as well: very few others think much about the cameras in real-life, everyday use. Of the ultra-techie reviewers I would single out Gordon Laing of Cameralabs, who manages to combine ultimate geekhood with sensible comments on handling!

I like the look of the control layout on this new body, and I'm sure I'd get on with it. I shan't be swapping either an E-M1 or the GM1, but I'm sure I'd be happy to have one as a travel/backup body if I didn't like the under-the-radar abilities of the latter.

Thinking of the thought that has obviously gone in to the top plate controls of the mk II, Fuji continually gets plaudits for its controls and handling, but they still haven't managed to design a on-off switch that doesn't get knocked 'on' every time you put the camera back in the bag/pocket despite the 'T' being the third iteration of the X100!
                Regards,
                Mark

------------------------------
                http://www.microcontrast.com
                Too much Oly gear.
                Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermboy View Post
                  I think you're overlooking the larger EVF & 5 axis (from 3) IBIS & the added Fn3 function button to start with as that is a definite improvement. EDIT, also slightly faster mechanical shutter & additional full electronic shutter (up to 1/16000 sec). Besides that, to use the word "upgrade" would not be correct in my way of thinking as I see it as a new replacement for the older iteration of the E-M10 & I see an upgrade to be to go to the next level model up, the E-M5 Mk II. I don't think Olympus would be thinking of current E-M10 users making a switch to the updated model (especially with it being the entry level OM-D) but to attract new users with a newer & better version of the E-M10 that is more current on the market. I know some existing OM-D & PEN users may get it as an extra body but it needs to be remembered it doesn't use the same battery as the E-M5 (& Mk II) & E-M1 (or PEN E-P5).

Anyhow, that's just my opinion.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by IanB View Post
                    very interesting; we only assume the EM1 mark 2 will be next

the 10/2 would be a good back up camera
                    Yes I would imagine it won't be far away-Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by yorky View Post
                      Yes I would imagine it won't be far away-Can't wait!
                      I hope you can wait for 2016 then, at Photokina!
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                        I hope you can wait for 2016 then, at Photokina!
                        I am in no hurry for it to appear as I won't be able to afford one. It is a bit of a novelty owning a digital camera which is nearly two years old and still a current model.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
                          I know we're all used to them now, but the Oly menu system does need a serious going over, especially if they want to entice new users or people switching from other systems.... this is basically the same menu system I remember from the E-1, which off the top of my head I think was 2004.......
                          Having come to Olympus from Nikon.I found the menu confusing and difficult to get the hang of.As the quoted poster said the menu system needs a complete overhaul.

Comment

Link nicked from another website.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/08...ark-ii-review/

Scroll down to "other features" and he shows a focus bracketing feature which isn't mentioned in the other reviews and looks like a useful upgrade.
                            I hope it's available as a firmware upgrade for the 5mkii

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                              Link nicked from another website.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/08...ark-ii-review/

Scroll down to "other features" and he shows a focus bracketing feature which isn't mentioned in the other reviews and looks like a useful upgrade.
                              I hope it's available as a firmware upgrade for the 5mkii
                              That's been mentioned in the articles I've read....there's a nice short video of it on the MU-43 forum too. Neat feature but important to note the images aren't stacked in-camera.

EDIT: apologies, it was the author of the mirrorlessons review that posted the video...it can be found in his review.

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                                Do you have 'Set Home' set to the centre AF point position and assigned to a button? That way you only have to press one button to reset the AF point to your preferred position. Ron
                                I don't Ron, although thank you for the suggestion, as all my buttons are assigned for other functions. But a long press on the OK button in focus magnify mode does the trick. Still, I see no need for it to remember the focus point once the camera has been switched off as it is unlikely you are going to compose the exact same shot when you switch it on again (else you would not have switched it off!).

Finding the correct button to press can be a bit fiddly with the camera to your eye and the advantage of the using the screen to position the focus point is that not only can you position the focus point anywheer but you do not need to drop the camera and see where your thumb is as the feedback is right there in the viewfinder.
                                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                                Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                                X