Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

From the Horses mouth ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From the Horses mouth ...

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
    Sadly a very plausible assessment. An updated midrange would certainly help curb this scenario.
    I think their fundamental mistake is hoping/assuming that a loyal Olympus 4/3rds D-SLR user will drop their coveted 410/420, 510/520, 600/620 for a Pen body with an adapter.

However if in the short to medium term they manage to bring out a Pen with a great EVF that handles more like a small Oly D-SLR and importantly uses 4/3rds lenses effectively (same or close to the focus performance of a D-SLR) then they may recover. Time will tell.
    Pen is all about small size. It's my guess that we will eventually see an Olympus Micro Four Thirds body that is larger than a Pen and more aking to a DSLR, and which will feel more at home with the larger Four Thirds lenses.

Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      Pen is all about small size. It's my guess that we will eventually see an Olympus Micro Four Thirds body that is larger than a Pen and more akin to a DSLR, and which will feel more at home with the larger Four Thirds lenses.

Ian
      I hope you're right Ian.
      However I do feel such a m4/3 body would need to be released sooner rather than later to stem the potential migration of 4/3 users.
      Either that or introduce an 'E-630' in the E-3 to E-5 mould.
      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
      Capture One Pro
      My flickr

Comment

.... I think their fundamental mistake is hoping/assuming that a loyal Olympus 4/3rds D-SLR user will drop their coveted 410/420, 510/520, 600/620 for a Pen body with an adapter.
        A mistake indeed.

However if in the short to medium term they manage to bring out a Pen with a great EVF that handles more like a small Oly D-SLR and importantly uses 4/3rds lenses effectively ...
        I would buy one in a heartbeat.

David.

Comment

However if in the short to medium term they manage to bring out a Pen with a great EVF that handles more like a small Oly D-SLR and importantly uses 4/3rds lenses effectively
          So, could that be a mirrorless E620 type body with an EVF..? So I could use my current lenses? I would be interested in that idea, provided the EVF was really good and the camera was physically quieter.

Pete
          Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
            So, could that be a mirrorless E620 type body with an EVF..? So I could use my current lenses? I would be interested in that idea, provided the EVF was really good and the camera was physically quieter.

Pete
            Yes something like that. I would certainly be interested in such as a backup body if I decide to go for the E-5.

The problem could be that the Olympus decision makers may have another view.
            With limitations on their R&D budget and financial to pressure to capture as much of the m4/3 market as possible (they are a business after all) they will concentrate on developing compact Pen bodies and the m4/3 lens range first before possibly returning to address 4/3rds and a D-SLR 'like' body. I just hope they have enough resources to be able push development in both areas.
            Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
            Capture One Pro
            My flickr

Comment

Maybe it is just me, but the discussion seems to be missing a point. It is, and has always been, the supremely high quality of Olympus glass which has kept me faithfully for all these many years.
              If no further competative E-xxx bodies are to be developed ( and reading the replies from Olympus this is more than likely)
              I am in the position of investing in 3 new lenses, at a cost of several thousand pounds, but what is the point if, in 5 years, I cannot get a body to support them?

This is an area which will cost Olympus dearly, as 1 lens = 4 x E5 bodies or
              10 x E620.
              The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Originally posted by Imageryone View Post
                Maybe it is just me, but the discussion seems to be missing a point. It is, and has always been, the supremely high quality of Olympus glass which has kept me faithfully for all these many years.
                If no further competative E-xxx bodies are to be developed ( and reading the replies from Olympus this is more than likely)
                I am in the position of investing in 3 new lenses, at a cost of several thousand pounds, but what is the point if, in 5 years, I cannot get a body to support them?

This is an area which will cost Olympus dearly, as 1 lens = 4 x E5 bodies or
                10 x E620.
                I don't get your point. In my perception Olympus has always explicitly stated that there will always be a(n Ex-) body to use these lenses on.
                Some of my pictures can be viewed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kees View Post
                  I don't get your point. In my perception Olympus has always explicitly stated that there will always be a(n Ex-) body to use these lenses on.
                  Agreed, they have stated that there will always be a E-x body in one form or another.

But Imageryone is also right to a degree in that they have stated no more entry to mid range bodies, at least in the current D-SLR mould.
                  I hope they reflect on that statement and realise that it will leave them very exposed to the competition in the short to medium term. An E-630 would be a very sensible introduction say 4-6 months down the road, giving them more slack to further develop and introduce the mirrorless bodies later on.
                  Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                  Capture One Pro
                  My flickr

Comment

Glad of the link to comment as I am now waiting over a month for a reply to my letter asking Olympus what is happening (pre E5 launch) still no reply!! Like a lot of others I have a large investment which I would hate to lose on but it may come to that if the expensive E5 is all they can offer.
                    Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

My reading of their replies, is that essentially, there will be the E5; there is no indication of any immediate intent (or even particularly forseeable intent) to introduce any more mid-range SLRs. As far as I can tell, the only 620s etc left out there are basically remaindered stock - all of Oly's focus seems to have gone onto the Pen models.

My perception (which may be wildly wrong) is that Oly did this before. When I started out in 35mm many years ago, I used Canon - the T90, which I still have. Oly produced the excellent OM series, and I did in fact buy one (an OM2), which I later sold to my cousin as he was starting out doing travel photography, and the lightness and compactness of the OM suited his needs very well. Oly then seemed to leave the SLR market after the OM4 - as far as I could tell, and seemed to focus for many years almost entirely on (very good) compacts. That seems to be what they are doing now. As I said - I could be very wrong, but that certainly is my perception of the situation.
                      Last edited by Telemark; 2nd November 2010, 10:35 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

I seem to have invested quite a bit over the years. I bought the e400 when it was new and expensive, and then I bought the E620 when it was also expensive...

I'm rather glad I bought the majority of my lenses second hand, I hate to think what the total new cost of my gear would be.

However, I worry that I have bought into a dead end. If the future road map is micro4/3 cameras and lenses, or E5 and SHG lenses, then where do you go for a compact body with your existing 4/3 lenses eh?

Pete
                        Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Hi my feeling is that Oly might be leaving the conventional slr persay with mirror action, and that a new era of e3-e5 type dslrs but with mirrorless technology and be able to use the full 4/3rds lenses, with high speed focus, and fps above 5 fps, with improved sensors so what you see through the viewfinder will be what the sensor actually sees.

Thats my two pennies worth, and dont minf Oly going that way cos thats were the new technology is going any way and Oly is leading the way forward with this one.

Dave
                          My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

I seem to have invested quite a bit over the years. I bought the e400 when it was new and expensive, and then I bought the E620 when it was also expensive...

I'm rather glad I bought the majority of my lenses second hand, I hate to think what the total new cost of my gear would be.

However, I worry that I have bought into a dead end. If the future road map is micro4/3 cameras and lenses, or E5 and SHG lenses, then where do you go for a compact body with your existing 4/3 lenses eh?

Pete
                            In the dark of the night we all fear that, and being less canny than Pete I suspect my investment in lenses is quite possibly larger.

But the publicly quoted comments from Olympus contain a committment to provide bodies to support the current range of 4/3'rd glass. And the current Pen bodies are able to support the full range of lenses (albeit with a certain degree of humour if you do fit the 90-250, but then a lot of people use that with a monopod which changes the whole issue).

The limitations are the focus speed and the slight delay in the evf. But I doubt that current models are anywhere near reaching the full capabilities of that technology. I suspect we will see considerable improvements in the next couple of years.

If you accept that, then the last limitation is the body size, well a larger body (or perhaps an extended rh/bottom grip) doesn't seem an unlikely prospect.

But there is little. if anything, judging by Pete's contribution to the group, that I can see stopping him using the current Pen cameras for most/all of his photography.

None of us know how the market is going to develop, Olympus at least have acknowledged the change in technology and are going forward with a model range that maintains compatability with the all the current lens range. Realistically there should be more concern amongst those photographers whose chosen manufacturer are giving no indications of their future plans/platforms.

Nick
                            Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                            www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X