Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

February Challenge: Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: February Challenge: Portrait

Congrats to the winners and thanks to everybody else, there were some great photos there and I didn't have enough likes to go round!

Originally posted by wornish View Post
    Thanks to all those who voted for my entry. Could not find anyone else who would let me take their picture hence the selfie
    Your selfie reminded me very much of Jane Bown's classic portrait of Samuel Beckett - as featured here (and many other places):

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...Samuel-Beckett

John

Comment

Wow, I'm flattered. Thanks to all for casting their votes, and commiserations to the (pretty close) runners up.

I've been getting notified by email about posts in the thread, but haven't had anything for a few days, and just popped in by chance!

Thanks again.

Comment

Your photo was so colourful and balanced. Be interesting know how you got that result...……….
        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Wow! That was a very pleasant surprise, especially as I've been absent from the forum for so long.

Well done DekHog - that's a superb portrait.

Janet
          My flickr photostream....

Comment

It was nothing fancy. One 6' x 4' pop up double sided black/white background about 1m behind her. Single Yongnuo YN-560 III manual flash in a brolly box to the left and above. E-M1 (Mk1) with Olympus 25mm F1.8 @ F5.6 and 1/250th....

The right hand side of the scarf was clamped to a light stand out of shot. This meant I could adjust the height and curve of the scarf very easily.

That was it really. A little bit of fettling in DXO Photolab to keep the blacks black, vignette the right hand side, and a little bit of skin/eye work.

All of the above means nothing if you don't get the facial expression correct and good eye contact, of course.....

I always mean to take pull back shots showing the setup, but inevitably always forget!

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post

Portia by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
              WOW Paul that's ( IMO ) a CRACKING portrait, great lighting,pose,exposure. Would not be out of place in many a fashion magazine
              “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
              ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
                Far from my most recent, but still my fav from the last couple of years..... looks fab in a 30" wide canvas in the hall!

Another CRACKER, very,very good indeed
                “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                X