Challenge 75 - Beside the Seaside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge 75 - Beside the Seaside

The subject for this challenge is 'Beside the Seaside'. It's where i'm going to be later on today and as it's still summer hopefully most of you will have been, or will be going to some stretch of coastline in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to keep it broad to allow for more submissions, so anything from classic postcard shots to building sandcastles to stormy seascapes would be great. There's something magical about the UK coastline so anything that captures that magic works for me!

Closing date: Midnight (UK time) on Sunday 30th August 2015

Here are the rules, which should be copied and pasted into the opening post of each round:-

1) The winner of each round becomes the Curator of the next challenge and is responsible for setting the theme and making final judgement of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. Ideally he/she will make a few comments concerning what they liked about the winning pictures and why they were chosen, but this is not compulsory.

2) A separate thread should be started for comments with each new round and all discussions should take place there, not in the main thread, which should feature pictures entered for the competition only.

3) Each round should be open for entries for two weeks, with the Curator posting the results as soon as possible after entries have closed and the winner setting a new challenge as soon as possible after that.

4) If for any reason a Curator is unable to complete judging their challenge, or a winner is unable or unwilling to become the next Curator, they must contact a moderator immediately so that alternative arrangements can be made.

5) The Curator's decision is final and cannot be disputed. The challenge is designed to be a light-hearted and fun way to encourage friendly competition.

6) All entries must have been taken on an Olympus digital camera, including compacts. Third party lenses on E-System bodies are acceptable. The Exif data should be preserved for every entry. The exception is for processing techniques where the exif for the final image is lost, i.e. for montages, HDR, focus stacking, etc... and in this case all that is required is for one of the original images used to be available to the Curator to check Exif, if needed. It is not anticipated that this will be needed except in the case of a complaint from a forum member. Remember, this is not a competition with prizes at stake and the main purpose is to encourage members to showcase their favourite shots whilst having a bit of fun and friendly rivalry, at the same time demonstrating what a talented bunch we all are!

7) There are no time limits on when a picture was taken, provided it meets all other criteria.

8) Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that's OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

9) The Curator cannot enter his or her own challenge.

Please use the separate thread I have started for comments on this challenge whilst the competition is in progress. Discussions/Comments link

Good luck!
    Slowly expanding Flickr
    ..and my horribly out of date website

Re: Challenge 75 - Beside the Seaside

Sunrisa at Surfers Paradise , Australia
    * Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Net huts and boats at the seaside.
      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

I missed the last entry and before that just didn't have anything suitable, so here goes with this challenge....

Cheers

Peter
        OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
        I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
        www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

I live and work near the sea and played on the beach as kid this is the sort of thing it means to me

St Bees beach big sky v2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

I can see the sea.

Rob

Comment

I'm not much of a one for the seaside so I'll recycle this one. I think technically it counts as "sea" because it's tidal and stonking great ocean-going tankers can get to it.

John

Comment

Bamburgh beach two taking a stroll

Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Anstruther at Dusk by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
                  Paul
                  E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                    I live and work near the sea and played on the beach as kid this is the sort of thing it means to me

St Bees beach big sky v2
                    That's stunning Alf!
                    Paul
                    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

BOW FIDDLE ROCK

Bow Fiddle Rock by Mike Stephen, on Flickr
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/

www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

Comment

Fog Horn

[IMG]_1050804.jpg

Comment

Lobster fisherman heads out to sea

Comment

Sound of Elgol, Skye

Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

I'm a couple of days late, but I made it in the end.. Picking a top 3 from that lot was nigh on impossible...in fact what I couldn't do was seperate the runners up, so i'm breaking the rules a little and giving a first and a joint second this time!

2= Mike - Bow Fiddle Rock

A terrific photo...not much else to say about it! I'm assuming from the glow around the rock on the right that it's an HDR? For me that glow was the only nit picky thing that I could find to seperate first and second places..and it is really nit picky!

2= John's mono marvel..

As with Margarets shot, the rays of light breaking through a stormy looking sky are gorgeous... Purely personal preference but I just preferred the industrious horizon to the boats in Maragarets image..and the mono works a treat here.

1. Alf's Big Sky

I kinda knew this one would take the top spot as soon as I saw it. Reminds me of the skies up on the North Norfolk coast and it's captured beautifully...just a stunning shot in my view..

Special mentions have to go to Margaret and Invicta who kept jumping in and out of my favourite three.. I had to keep reminding myself that these challenges are judged by personal preference, and those above just edged in.

Over to you then Alf, and many thanks to all who entered.

Alan
                              Slowly expanding Flickr
                              ..and my horribly out of date website

Comment

Working...
                              X