Macro using the 60mm f2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro using the 60mm f2.8

I wondered how you felt about starting a thread dedicated to shots obtained using the oly 60 f2.8 macro?

If you think its a good idea please feel free to add you pics here

Anyway, I succumbed and got my macro lens out on the EM-1 and oh dear, was I rusty!

I managed to remember a little of my craft and a few obliging subjects arrived but I need to get my "Fly Training skills" honed as they weren't listening when I gave them shooting instructions

I also noticed that the EM-1 shows a tendency to noticeable moiré on things like the reticulation of a fly's eye so I may revert to the EM-5 in future - a bit more testing will tell

My success rate was in the order of 1:30 today (should be about 1:5 when I'm in practise) and none of them are stunning shots but they are my first of the year

All are shot hand-held using my SAF + half-press to lock then body rock for final focus technique

A male common gnat (see the large feathery antenna, super subjects when everything works right)

Very shallow DOF from using f3.5 (to keep the shutter speed up) detail lost from moiré correction and only the right eye sharp

same fly and settings but left eye sharp

A buff tailed bumble bee resting on the fence in very strong light and shade. I had to lean against the fence to get this side shot

A 100% crop of the same bee (but different shot) showing foot detail and a little of the eye and antenna (but not as good as it should be)

Top view of a Flesh fly resting on a grubby Pieris forrestii leaf

Re: Macro using the 60mm f2.8

I don't know. First of all you clean your windows, then you hypnotise your flies. Whatever next? Lion taming in the back garden? Great macro shots!
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Great idea for a thread!

Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

Comment

Great shots, rusty or not!

The bee is my favourite.
        https://amandat.smugmug.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajthrelfall/

Comment

then you hypnotise your flies. Whatever next?
          Later in the year I have them performing on command!

(Friends at the camera club reckon I carry a set of trained bugs with me wherever I go, a bit like the old style flea-circus but its not true, they are all stuffed - oops )

Comment

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post

Friends at the camera club reckon I carry a set of trained bugs with me wherever I go, a bit like the old style flea-circus but its not true, they are all stuffed - oops
            Dibnah also carries her own bugs with her, but I'd hardly call them (or her) trained ...
            Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Re: Macro using the 60mm f2.8 - Moved from Foto Fair

Nice set of images

Comment

Good idea....i'm seriously thinking about getting this lens, so no doubt would post when the chance comes...BTW the fly shots are my favourites...

Cheers

Peter
                OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

thanks Peter, its an excellent lens and quite versatile too, works well as a short telephoto, portrait lens and walk-about in addition to being a macro lens

Comment

Some nice macro images there Brian. When you are rocking backwards and forwards to get focus do you have the image enlarged in the viewfinder or normal size?

Ron

Comment

Excellent shots Brian, the 60 mm is one of my favourite lenses.

Here are a few from me, I hope you don't mind
                      These are all from last year with my E-M5 and the 60 mm.

Damsels by the Thames

Green bottle

Friendly frog

Hover fly

An exotic butterfly at Wisley Gardens glass house
                      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                      Capture One Pro
                      My flickr

Comment

Very nice Huw. Banded Demoiselles are always a pleasure to see and I really like the Green Bottle. I can't wait to try my 60mm on some wildlife now the weather is improving.

Ron

Comment

Excellent stuff Huw, all my favourite subjects

The detail of fly's heads is quite stunning isn't it, look like its been engineered from bright stainless steel, I'm looking forward to getting back into this genre as the year progresses.

Ron, I tend to shoot with the magnified view off unless the subject is quite torpid as I try to consider the composition as well as the focus point.

A sleepy fly or feeding spider may well be steady enough to use 5X mag as a final focus check but I rarely go any higher these day

Comment

Here are a few from me, I hope you don't mind
                            Missed this comment Huw, no, that is why I put the thread up, so we can all contribute our macro work taken using this wonderful little lens

Comment

Great macros guys. I can see this is going to be an impressive thread. Shame I don't have a 60mm macro to contribute but I'll still enjoy looking.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                              X