Macro using the 60mm f2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Macro using the 60mm f2.8 - Moved from Foto Fair

Some fantastic pictures - I have never really tried any macro work but am interested in the 60mm lens in part to try macro, but also as a portrait lens - can any of you owners give me any feedback as to how well suited it is to general use - is it much slower to focus than say the 45mm f1.8 ?

Comment

An example of "Fly Hypnotism"

I have found that if you approach any insect, fly, bee, hover etc from a low angle its possible to get very close without spooking them. The trick is to stop shadow from falling on the light sensors on the top of their head

Something I need to get back into as it can be quite hard work at the start of each macro season (but its very satisfying when it works )

The image is a crop to about 30% of the original frame width

Just seen your query Steve, yes it is slower focusing than the 45 f1.8 but its an excellent all rounder despite that and focus is fast enough for most uses (I've even shot close-up birds in flight with it). The resolution makes it a good choice for landscape work, either for a slightly compressed single shot (good for "layered" effects) or for shooting panoramic images (I have one made of 18 frames and the distant resolution and sharpness is stunning). Having said that, if you aren't planning to use it for macro work then something like the 75 f1.8 would be my preferred choice

Comment

Here's a couple from me. Great little lens.

1/125 f8 iso800

1/125 f5.6 iso800

1/125 f9 iso1250

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/

Comment

nice ones Pete, 2nd and 3rd get my vote

Comment

Its a lovely cool morning with a real feel of Spring, so I dug out my Metz ring flash and stuck it on the 60mm macro with the EM-1 behind

One benefit of the EM-1 is that with the flash sync port I can use my flash sync cable which I have found allows me to exceed the stated 1/160th sec flash sync of the ring flash (so the following shots were with 1/400th sec) Using the gun in this mode allows me full manual control over power and light balance which is fine for the way I shoot

I had the camera set to ISO100, using manual exposure so controlling both shutter and aperture independently. In these shots I was using the aperture at f7.1

The subject was a hoverfly, which insisted on hiding behind the leaves of the bamboo in which it was warming itself up (as they do) but I thought the results weren't too bad for day 2 , see what you think

These were on the Pieris forrestii

Comment

I'm getting my technique back slowly, this shot I am quite pleased with, its a Male Common Gnat showing the feathery antenna (diagnostic of the male), the mouth parts and the clasper at the rear end.

I love the way their wings are iridescent when the light is right

the flower is Winter Jasmine

Crop of head detail

and the other end, (not so clear, must try for another shot of this)

Just now and then I get lucky, this male gnat landed in just the right place for me to get the shot. I had to focus on the edge of the leaf then rock the focus to get the gnat sharp. This is probably the best shot I have got to date of one of these irritating but fascinating insects. (missed it taking off again though )

Its an un-resized crop of about 1000 pix on the longest side

Comment

Got my fly hypnotism working again

Comment

Of course, one has to ask how you attract the flies in the first place ...

Wish I could get decent macro shots.
                  Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Some crackers among these

Only fly I have seen lately was a fruit fly trying to steal my pint of Corby Red down pub
                    My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Of course, one has to ask how you attract the flies in the first place ...
                      I can let you have some of my after shave Stephen - "Eau de Corpse"

There are always plenty around, part of the knack is seeing them, which for me involves a lot of standing around looking vacant until I see something move out of the corner of my eye.

Its something I sometimes struggle with when teaching people macro shooting, they want to look through the viewfinder to start firing off shots and I have to make them put it down and look long enough to really see what is about.

Then they have something to look through the viewfinder at and can consider framing a picture

Comment

Yes they are all great shots. I have this lens I hope to be able to achieve macro's like these and I would be very happy.
                        Olympus E3] [E300] OMD-M5 12.50mm] ZD [40.150] ZD [14.45] ZD 50.200] ZD [14.54] ZD [35macro] ZD [11.22] ZD [1.4x EC- 14] ZD [EX-25] [RM. CB 1] [FL-36] [FL-50]
                        Manfrotto Tripod.

Comment

I have this lens I hope to be able to achieve macro's like these and I would be very happy.
                          Please share some of you images here, its getting lonely

Its only a question of practise, the camera and lens do the rest of it for you

Comment

This one was a really difficult shot to light as it was an extreme contra-jour shot where my only view point was directly into the light.

Lit using the Metz flash I got the light right for the subject (after a few experiments) which resulted in the background going black) but I think its worked.

Its a Daddy Longlegs spider which has caught a couple of gnats in its rudimentary web

Comment

I managed to extract the leaf of Pampas grass on which this spider was hunting and get a shot with the light coming from behind, I not sure its any better for it (had to shoot one handed as I was holding the grass) but it does show a different aspect of the spider.

In the half hour or so it had added another two victims to its larder, hunting is obviously good today )

Comment

One of my favourite hunting spiders, the Wolf Spider.

This is quite a small one and required some one-handed shooting as it was hiding inside the canopy of our Pieris forrestii (which I had to carefully lift away)

shot using the Metz ring flash at 1/16th power with ISO 200, f8 with ISO400 for 1/400th sec, focusing on the eyes using single point smallest focus + 5x mag

Comment

Working...
                                X