Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

The e-group Bank Holiday Challenge thread - entries here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The e-group Bank Holiday Challenge thread - entries here

The e-group Bank Holiday Challenge

Thanks to those who responded yesterday with some great suggestions, I have taken a look and here are the chosen themes/subjects/categories for the bank holiday challenge;
    1 - The Bank Holiday Weather
    2 - Something you did not expect to see!
    3 - Yellow
    4 - Laughing/Enjoyment
    5 - It's dinner time!
    6 - 04:00 in the morning!
    7 - A Clock Tower
    8 - Something cute!
    9 - A Candid shot of someone, anyone but this must be... outside heheheh... wicked aren't I...?)
    10 - Music
    Finally... as a tie breaker just in case, please can you complete the following caption... "I chose Olympus because... "

The prizes for the winner are;
    • A couple of 1GB Compact Flash cards
    • An Olympus RM-1 infra red wireless shutter release
    • An Art of Lee Miller collapsible circular reflector (48cm, or 19in, wide when open)
    So, there you go. Please make sure you are safe, and I hope you enjoy the challenge and capturing your images, please submit them to as many categories as you can.

The gallery for submissions and uploading your images can be found here.

So, trying to keep this nice and easy... here are the simple rules:
    1. Please only submit 1 entry per theme/category (the same image can be used in multiple categories if required)
    2. Please complete the caption and submit it at the bottom of the same post you show your images in (i.e. this thread!!)
    3. All your images must be posted in the e-group challenge thread here by linking them from your e-group gallery page.
    4. All images must be a maximum of 800px on the largest side
    5. Please submit your images by 22:00 Monday 26th May
    6. The winner will be determined by John and Ian, and will be announced on Wednesday 28th May
    7. Judges decision is final
    8. If you take the challenge too seriously... don't - it's not worth it.
    Now get out there and find an image for each of those categories. Heck, you could even try to capture several categories in one image - how's that for forward thinking eh...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by theMusicMan; 23rd May 2008, 04:01 PM.
    John

Re: The e-group Bank Holiday Challenge thread - entries here

Hi John thats great

My only concern is the closing date/time! I'm going out and about Monday (it is a holiday) and I'm likely to be back after 6!

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dbutch View Post
      Hi John thats great

My only concern is the closing date/time! I'm going out and about Monday (it is a holiday) and I'm likely to be back after 6!

Cheers

Dave
      In which case I shall amend the closing time... how's that?
      John

Comment

Thankyou

Comment

John,

Thanks for increasing the time that we have for our submissions.

I will try to get some photos in.

Comment

Ill be having a go at this...................................but No6............4am, you are having a laugh arnt you......Im supposed to be resting

Comment

Originally posted by mike1251 View Post
              Ill be having a go at this...................................but No6............4am, you are having a laugh arnt you......Im supposed to be resting
              Hehe... I thought that one would prove interesting...
              John

Comment

4am? Seen it once, what a nightmare.
                E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/

Comment

Ahh, but isnt it always 4am somewhere

Comment

1 - The Bank Holiday Weather
                    2 - Something you did not expect to see!
                    3 - Yellow
                    4 - Laughing/Enjoyment
                    5 - It's dinner time!
                    6 - 04:00 in the morning!
                    7 - A Clock Tower
                    8 - Something cute!
                    9 - A Candid shot of someone, anyone but this must be... outside heheheh... wicked aren't I...?)
                    10 - Music

right so all I need now is pop out Sunday morning and qickly snap a beautifull sunrise behind a church clock tower at 0400h (1/2/3/6/7) with an owl feeding her chicks (5/8) and a couple visible through the window enjoying themselves on the organ (4/9/10).

hmmm - wonder which lens I should plan on using............
                    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                    43 m43 and legacy glass
                    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

photo_owl I like your idea and youll still be back intime for a well earned bacon butty

Comment

One thing I think just needs some clarification - are we judging sets of pictures (do you need to do all 10) or looking for the best individual picture (and you can cherry-pick the themes)?

Ian
                        Founder and editor of:
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          One thing I think just needs some clarification - are we judging sets of pictures (do you need to do all 10) or looking for the best individual picture (and you can cherry-pick the themes)?

Ian
                          naively I had seen this as an assignment and assumed that the objective was to produce between 1 and 10 images allocated for 'assessment' against the 10 objectives.

something along the lines of 100 points - 10 per objective beig allocated with the usual mix of on topic/technical/artistic

but this was of course only an assumption from reading the posts...
                          E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                          43 m43 and legacy glass
                          loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Good questions... my take on this is that you can try to enter all 10 categories if you are able to, or you might only be able to produce one stunning image in a single category. It's only a bit of fun remember, the objective of which is to get you out there (or in there if the weather is awful) using your cameras and taking shots. If I were judging the challenge (and I am hehe) then I'd be encouraged by seeing more categories entered than a single super image.

Does that help...?
                            John

Comment

Just a question, from somebody with scant knowledge of British traditions... what is the Bank Holiday?

The subjects are very good... as I have not touched my camera in a while, it would be good to get out and try to shoot along these criteria, and maybe even post some examples. Of course, I will not participate in the contest, but if you allow me to post something in the thread (should I actually shoot something) I would be gratefull.

Comment

Working...
                              X