Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Light Trails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Trails

Hi Everyone

While driving my Daughter to Drama class this evening, I thought I'd stop and see if I could capture a nice light trails photo.

Im quite pleased with the below, but I think it needs a little something to bring it out better, I have tried 2 variations, see below

Let me know if you think one of these is the best or if something can be done via PP to improve

Taken on e-30, 14-54mm - 13 sec - f11 - iso100

Thanks for looking

E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

Re: Light Trails

Number 2 for me Steve.

#1: too much dark unused space at top.
    #3: the B&W version just doesn't do it for me.
    #2: maybe use the thirds rule to re-compose such that the trail disappears at a third intersection.

Rules are there to be broken - I am a proponent of that as you know, but in this case I think a re-compose would improve the shot.

John

Comment

Hi,

Personally, I like number 2 best, I think it has the most impact. My suggestion for next time is to slightly adjust the composition of the shot. I would move the camera to the right so that the light trails fill the bottom of the frame. This would also remove the white light on the left to focus the eye on the dramatic light trials.

I am no expert just my thoughts. I think you have done really well. I have been thinking of trying the same thing but I have yet to think of a good location.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Cheers guys, thanks for the tips, I liked it but knew it was lacking something.

I'll try another composition next week, at least I learnt some good settings

May even try a low perspective from the side of the road, as long as someone doesnt run me over

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

Comment

I like number two best as well. But looking again at number three, the red light trails look the same colour as the central reservation - making the the whole thing look like railway lines but with some appearing white hot. I really like the effect.

On a lighter note, in the days of film a friend of mine tried this on a motorway bridge near some services. When he'd finished he threw his tripod over his shoulder and walked back to his car in the services car park - not realising the shutter was still locked open. When he got the slides back and saw the resulting mish mash of car trails and neon lights he called it "Motorway Madness", put it in our camera club monthly competition and got first place with 30 points out of 30. And he hates me telling anybody how it happened!

Oh and if you do get run over - remember to keep shooting as long as you can
          Paul

Comment

Ha ha, thanks for the comments and great story Paul, can you get hold of the photo, scan and post here, would love to see it

Yeah when it comes to photography, no matter what happens, I agree keep clicking

Comment

[QUOTE=stevednp3;64311] can you get hold of the photo, scan and post here, would love to see it

QUOTE]

I'll see what I can do - but I doubt he'll thank me for reminding him!!
              Paul

Comment

Working...
              X