A Resting Bee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Resting Bee

This chap seemed to have run out of puff and was just sat on a flower, giving me the time to take some shots with a tripod rather than chasing around hand-held. He did perk up after a while, started feeding again and eventually flew off

I thought I'd risk a punt in this forum to see how the shots stand up to more focussed, hopfully friendly, criticism.

Both with E-3 + EC-20 + MF-1 + OMZ 90mm f/2.0 + FL-36 + home-made diffuser + tripod. Slight levels and sharpening plus 8 pixels off y-axis to get exact 4:3 aspect ratio in Raw Therapee, resize in the GIMP.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Re: A Resting Bee

Must have been cool enough to really slow them down

First one is a lovely shot - crisp and good dof, nothing really to say other than I might be inclined to crop it a bit closer to square as the bee is making the start of a diagonal - I think that would also make the petals above look less isolated.

2'nd doesn't quite have that great dof - you are losing focus on one side of the bee and the leg. I always think if you are going to go fuzzy it's best to get there quickly with a much shallower dof - or to stay crisp throughout.

Nice shots

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I couldn't even begin to critisise these, both in my opinion are stunners

Comment

The first picture is in my opinion perfect! I do agree with Nick though on No.2 that it is lacking DOF to be perfect, however I would still give it 99/100 !

Comment

Thank you, Nick, Neil and Edward , for the kind comments and the feedback

It was quite a cool day but this bee seemed to be the only one to have slowed down and, as I said, he did perk up and start buzzing around again. Perhaps there's a new EU buzzing time directive with mandatory rest periods every so often

I agree with the comments on the slightly disappointing DOF in the second image. I am almost 100% certain that I took both shots with the lens set to f/5.6, making, with the EC-20 attached, an effective 180mm lens at about f/11. I must try some shots with the lens set to f/8 and f/11 to see what effect this has on DOF and whether diffraction problems creep in. I may also find at such small apertures that my makeshift diffuser robs the FL36R of too much light so a proper macro flash might be in order. I have an OM T10 ringflash but it has to be used on manual so a lot of guesswork and missed shots are involved.

Thanks again for the feedback

Cheers,

JohnGG

Comment

Working...
          X