X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polperro chocolate boxy

Low tide Polperro

by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

How can this be improved?? No cropping done, and LR Auto + tweaking..
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Re: Polperro chocolate boxy

Polperro inner harbour

Cropped a bit...Is it too contrasty??
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I think they are lovely shots Mark, beautiful scenes both of them but yes they do appear a bit contrasty. Mind you I'm a bit prone to doing that too. Must get round to recalibrating my monitor again.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

It's a lovely scene but would probably look better if photographed earlier or later in the day. However, this is not always possible and it is still a nice shot.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Hi Mark, as this is LFI I'm being picky

I've marked up 2 places where I think some healing has been done, but looks odd and the lady on the left is IMO a bit distracting as she's neither in or our of the picture

I tried a very quick edit if you don't mind - I also cropped a bit of foreground off as I thought it balanced it a bit

regards
          Andy
          My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
          4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
          m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
          FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
          The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
          http://www.shenstone.me.uk
          http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
          https://vimeo.com/shenstone
          http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
            I think they are lovely shots Mark, beautiful scenes both of them but yes they do appear a bit contrasty. Mind you I'm a bit prone to doing that too. Must get round to recalibrating my monitor again.
            Thanks Phill. I do for some unknown reason make my photos a bit contrasty. Not sure if its my screen or what. I use a fairly old Dell Latitude E6430, so wonder whether the screen is the best...………….

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
            It's a lovely scene but would probably look better if photographed earlier or later in the day. However, this is not always possible and it is still a nice shot.
            Thanks John. Yes the time of day could make them better, but as you say I was there when I was. In real time the viz was superb, but I was unsure how to get the best out of it...……….

Originally posted by shenstone View Post
            Hi Mark, as this is LFI I'm being picky

I've marked up 2 places where I think some healing has been done, but looks odd and the lady on the left is IMO a bit distracting as she's neither in or our of the picture

I tried a very quick edit if you don't mind - I also cropped a bit of foreground off as I thought it balanced it a bit

regards
            Andy
            Thanks Andy, yes I removed three o/h wires...…...and agree the red jumper is distracting. Thanks for your input....and I certainly do not mind your edits. Very helpful...
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Nice shot. My preference would be to give the tone curve a smidge of a lift in the centre and a smidge and a half a quarter of the way up the slope just to lift the brightness of the scene - but I do like to feel the sun beating down in these kind of shots. I like Andy's crop. What does it look like when the tide is in?
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

I would have left the lady in. Yes the red coat is distracting but it also questions the mind. Why is she seated there? Does she own one of them boats and is waiting for the waters to come in? Leaves a human element in the photo.
                * Henry
                * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Yes I see what you mean. It does add a bit of human interest.. thanks
                  Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Just wondering, what's that 2 "distraction" in the sky that needs correction? Can't be dirt on the sensor.
                    * Henry
                    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

You did a great job removing them. Couldn't tell there were wires above.
                        * Henry
                        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

I like high-contrast images, which really suggest sunny days! May I suggest that you try increasing the yellow saturation, which adds more sense of warm sunshine:

Never trust 'healing tools'! I use the basic clone tool, always viewing at 1:1 size and working round edges very carefully. There are no short cuts when re-touching.

I like to explore overviews, like yours, to find 'vignettes' within the picture. I like Blu-by-u's suggestion - taken up in my crop.

Hurry up - tide ....

Of course it is better to look for these things while there and frame accordingly with the camera
                          Mike
                          visit my Natural History Photos website:
                          http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Thanks Mike, the addition of a bit more sunshine yellow really helps...

Not sure about the 2nd edit, that boat looks a bit soft to me. Hope that was not in the original photo...……...

Waiting for the tide
                            From the original

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

My example was, of course, a crop of an already reduced image, so very blurry pixels.
                              Mike
                              visit my Natural History Photos website:
                              http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X