Mother's Day Critique!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's Day Critique!

Best not to critique any mothers of course as they are all amazing!
    Although relaxed casual adhoc picture taking was the name of the game I would appreciate some critique anyway. Self Critique: I know one of my biggest sins ( which of course I have an excuse for! ) is not changing the focus point and adjusting composition enough. My excuse by the way is that I am not used to the luxury of all these focus points provided by the E-M1 coming from four thirds 3 point system! Just to let you know the first image is from my Huawei P20 Pro. I have included it because lots of people seem to like it. That one was taken at F0.95 in aperture mode. The rest are from Olympus 12-100 / Sigma 56mm F1.4. So far these are all untouched / uncropped sooc jpegs E-M1.
    Regards
    Tim

Re: Mother's Day Critique!

Not a critique as such but you have really managed to capture the warm feeling between the two women in #2.
    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
    Learn something new every day

Comment

All really good, but number 3 is cracking natural shot of a very classy looking lady....

Comment

Thanks very much appreciate the feedback, that's my sister in law in picture 3 by the way. My wife & mother in law are in the first image and the second image is of my wife & step daughter.Kind Regards Tim

Comment

I am a bit late here but here goes...

Number 1. I really like the overall composition here. However I think it is let down by the focus-placement. The photo is about your mother in law’s reaction to what she is being shown on the phone, so the focus should be on her face. As it is, my sight was first drawn to the food.

Number 2 I would crop out the radiator and TV on the left and the top to just below the top horizontal bar of the glass door.

Number 3 crop off a sliver from the top to remove the frame above the windows on the right.

Number 4 I would have preferred this if you had shot it from further to the right. A more face-on viewpoint would help the viewer feel more involved.

Number 5 I would leave this as it is.

I hope that I don’t seem too critical here. They are a very nice set of images. I think we would all benefit from spending more of our time photographing the people most dear to us.
          Stephen

My flickr

Comment

Working...
          X