Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

To edit or not to edit! that's the question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To edit or not to edit! that's the question?

So who would edit out the pylon and cables from this shot?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Re: To edit or not to edit! that's the question?

Yes, but only to confuse others as to where it was taken.
    A nice tranquil view of a location spoiled by a blot on the landscape.
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Not me but I think that I might have looked for a position that didn't include them. Easy for me to say this though as I don't know the area......
      Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

I would remove them it makes the scene more peaceful.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

It's realism .... but sometimes real isn't pleasing to the eye, so, yes, edit out if only to make it more aesthetic .... IMHO of course.

Comment

I'm with Graham. Perversely the pylon and lines do add to the scene, despite being a Blott on the landscape (remember that?)
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Depends on your purpose of course. If you're a documentary photographer wanting to highlight the ugliness introduced to rural scenes by insensitive intrusions then leave it as it is (or even choose a viewpoint which shows more of the pylon). If you're mainly interested in the older (and more "natural") landscape then a different viewpoint might be possible. Editing out such large things seems rather like fakery to me. As a compromise, and at the risk of subverting your composition, you could consider cropping fro the left to lose the pylon and then editing out the lines.

One of the odd things about technological intrusions on the landscape is that after a period they become accepted and even featured as part of the landscape - e.g. windmills, railway viaducts, canals etc are thought picturesque now, but modern wind turbines, pylons, motorway bridges etc are considered blots on the landscape.

As for "natural" landscapes - most of the British landscape is to a large extent fashioned by humans.

Comment

I tried posting this twice last night - gonna give it one more go:

God no!

In my opinion the pylon makes the scene, in fact it's probably the subject.

The pylon bridges the ground and the sky, balancing the sub.

I *might* be tempted to experiment with adjusting the crop of the ground itself, which forms a very large area of negative space. That's not to say that where you've cut it *isn't* the best position, or even that you haven't experimented already to settle it where you have.

If you can perfectly edit out the pylon and the cables (beyond my Photoshop skills TBH) you may well still have a beautiful scene, but in my opinion it would be half the photograph it is with the pylon in place.

dJE

Comment

Dan has pretty much summed up my thoughts. I think it works well as it is, and without the pylon and wires you wouldn't really have enough left to make it anything more than a pleasant scene.

John

Comment

I agree with the "No" unless you want to do it just to see if you can

Regards
                      Andy
                      My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                      4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                      m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                      FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                      The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                      http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                      http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                      https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                      http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Looks like we are all pretty much in agreement. Basically I took the shot with the intention of trying to making use of the pylon as it was there. I'd originally identified the sunrise spot via Google and TPE but when I got there on my scouting trip most viewing points along the road included pylons or cables. There was only one at the point where the cables actually crossed the road that I could get an unobstructed shot through a hole in the undergrowth before houses got in the way. That one was the first Carsington image I posted. Having got my sunrise I thought well lets just go back and see if I could get a sunny shot to work deliberately with the pylon featuring in it, hence, this one. I was trying to get the pylon to stand out as the ugly man made bit and use the cables in particular to lead the eye across to the natural sunrise over the water. Sort of hoping that the cables would create a flow across the scene linking it all together. I also noticed the sun was just about still lighting up the dew on the grass so I tried accentuating this by boosting the contrast in LR and hence cropping to retain a significant amount of foreground grass in the darker space. Overall I was hoping that I could create a mix of the natural and man made elements that would actually work together in an image. From your comments I think it sort of worked just about. Thanks everyone for your thoughts hope you enjoyed the discussion, I did.

Oh yes and by the way there is no way I could have deleted the Pylon and cable in PS, my processing skills are way below doing that so it was Hobson's choice really

Comment

I don't know the viewpoint but I might have tried to include the next pylon to the right, if I were trying to show the impact of the power line on the landscape. Otherwise, I might try to take the pylon and wires out but would probably decide it was too difficult
                          Mike
                          visit my Natural History Photos website:
                          http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Not sure how far the next pylon was Mike. I'll have a look through my other shots to see if i took one as you described.

Comment

Had a look Mike and just off shot there were trees that obscured the next pylon. However moving a bit further down this was the scene. Again still including the cables but in this case I think it would benefit from removing the cables as this scene might stand up a bit better on its own.

Comment

Working...
                              X