First attempt at cricket photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt at cricket photography

Here is my first attempt at action photography with the EM1 Mk2 and the 300mm f4

ISO400 1/3200 at f4.5. Using electronic shutter and 18fps.

What do you think?

Re: First attempt at cricket photography

I think Patrick Eagar had better watch out! Terrific shot - if that's a first attempt I look forward to seeing what you can do when you've had a bit more practice .
    Regards
    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by super_claret View Post
      What do you think?
      Out - definitely

On a serious note the image is pretty much spot on Mark; you have captured cricket in the sun at the perfect moment - excellent stuff.
      Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
      Flickr

Comment

Timing is spot on. Perhaps a bit more of the batsman's face if you wanted to sell it as its so good.
        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
        Learn something new every day

Comment

Looks pretty good to me - composition, focus, exposure, lighting etc. all very good, and perfect timing. If it were my shot I would be very pleased with it.

Looking for possible ways to improve it - not much, but some aspects of the background are bit distracting. The bit of spectator on the far right should be easy enough to lose, there isn't much of it so you could just crop it out, maybe with a slight overall crop to maintain balance. The bright sun on the purple/maroon/red (delete according to choice) car is a bit of a nuisance. No matter how carefully you position yourself, the sun moves round and will hit things you hadn't noticed before. If it were mine I probably wouldn't worry about it, but a bit of selective darkening might make it look a bit better.

As Otto says, if that's your first attempt I'm really looking forward to see what you can do when you are used to it

John

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
            Timing is spot on. Perhaps a bit more of the batsman's face if you wanted to sell it as its so good.
            More likely to sell it to the bowler

John

Comment

Very good methinks
              My stuff on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonskids/

Comment

I tried photographing cricket a few years back and found it difficult.
                You, on the other hand, seem to have nailed it! Nice photo!
                My Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. In actual fact, it was the EM1 mk2 that did all the work...18fps!!

The only problem having this feature is sorting through the 2000+ images I rattled off in about half an hour!

Comment

I did wonder about that - and most cricket lasts a lot longer than half an hour!

I have tried various sequential shooting options and never really been happy with the results. Oddly, for batsmen single shot seems to work pretty well, you will miss a few but I have got a lot of wickets and sometimes been quick enough to switch to the keeper or a fielder. Getting bowlers at the right point in the delivery is much more difficult, for that I suspect the answer is to shoot sequential until you can figure out the best timing, then practice doing it manually with single shots. With bowlers you have the advantage that you know pretty much where and when it will happen, just need to train the reflexes to get the timing right. Which is easy for me to say as I haven't managed it yet

John

Comment

Biggest weakness is the splashes of red where sun caught rear lights on cars (my eye went straight to them) - easily dealt with. Shame the bat is in front of the batsman's face, but you're always likely to have that kind of issue in an action shot.

Comment

I also think this is a great shot, shame we cannot see the batsmans expression ? Maybe if you had used 'burst' you would have had a choice of shots and the 'follow through' would have exposed the batsmans face ?

Comment

Great shot I thought the position of the bat was deliberate so you could claim it was whoever you wanted to really impress us!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                          Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Working...
                          X