Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iona Fisher - processed

Folks
    Here she is processed for better WB and also as BW. I prefer the BW myself.

I worked on the RAW image to do a basic WB shift; also adjusted clarity. Then developed it, and firstly further adjusted WB and tone; using the sliders, adjusted backdrop to the best I could get; denoised; sharpened locally facial features and hair; and added a vignette.

What do you think? WB first:

[IMG][/IMG]

B/W now:

[IMG][/IMG]

I feel that B/W is by far the best way to go. Strangely, the WB change is much less red before processing for the forum. I like the last image; the vignette works better, but the pose in no 3 is the best pose.

Thanks for comments.

Re: Iona Fisher - processed

WB on the first 2 looks way off on the display of my admittedly uncalibrated laptop.

Jim

Comment

stay with the colour image, but try adjusting one colour channel at a time to get a monochrome, rather than B&W.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
        stay with the colour image, but try adjusting one colour channel at a time to get a monochrome, rather than B&W.

M'mm, that's an interesting thought, Graham. I have reduced the vibrance on my colour originals, and I think they look better. But I can't get them to look "right". Natural colour flesh = blue shadows. Oh the joy of stage lighting! I shan't spend too much time on these, because the others are better anyway; and I have some other ideas I want to pursue with them.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
          M'mm, that's an interesting thought, Graham. I have reduced the vibrance on my colour originals, and I think they look better. But I can't get them to look "right". Natural colour flesh = blue shadows. Oh the joy of stage lighting! I shan't spend too much time on these, because the others are better anyway; and I have some other ideas I want to pursue with them.

Thanks.
          With reduced vibrance and increased exposure by 0.8 stop:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't think they look 'right' like that either! But they'll have to do for now.
          Cheers

Comment

Here is my take on your well timed shot.

OV3:
            gamma to 0.9, red +3, blue -6, hue +3, sauturation +11, sharpness +4, unsharp mask 26/23/33, NR +5
            This gave me the clarity and sharpness I wanted.

Elements 12:
            Set white balance on forehead, masked the dress to increase the red (it went a bit orange on the white balance change), mask some of the patchy orange casts and reduced them, masked and rebalanced the blue shadows, tweaked the hairline a bit on the left.

Please let me know if you don't think it adds to the discussion and want it removed.

Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
              Here is my take on your well timed shot.

OV3:
              gamma to 0.9, red +3, blue -6, hue +3, sauturation +11, sharpness +4, unsharp mask 26/23/33, NR +5
              This gave me the clarity and sharpness I wanted.

Elements 12:
              Set white balance on forehead, masked the dress to increase the red (it went a bit orange on the white balance change), mask some of the patchy orange casts and reduced them, masked and rebalanced the blue shadows, tweaked the hairline a bit on the left.

Please let me know if you don't think it adds to the discussion and want it removed.

No problem at all, I think it's an interesting discussion, and will help others too.

You can't get rid of the blue shadows completely, can you? It's a real pain! I found the same as you when I played with WB in Affinity; the dress went orange. It's actually quite a dark red - I saw her come in through the lounge before the show, in normal lighting. I judged her skin quite pale in normal light, but how do you keep a colour truly in your mind's eye?

The noise has come up a bit. It's more visible in the curtain now, also on her arms and face - the problem with 5000 ISO! I did quite brutal noise reduction, but only on the selected area of her face; then sharpened her facial features separately (eyebrows, eyes, nostrils, mouth, and hair) and I found that gave me the best compromise between making the noise hard to spot and the illusion of a sharp image.

I was wondering - what did you think of the B/W versions? I quite liked those, and I think you can get away with a bit of unsharp detail in BW so long as it looks like soft focus, or gritty, and so long as the eyes are sharp.

Quite a challenge, this lighting, isn't it? You can't just do the usual sharpening and contrast enhancement - or even tweak WB on its own!

Comment

I've always found this article very helpful for correcting skin tones:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93363

Jim

Comment

Have to agree, we all have a vast amount of visual record informing us what skin tones should look like, not just Caucasian, so people shots are generally a good reference for correcting colour balance. Difficulty arises if you're using daylight film in artificial lighting, but not the case here of course.
                  Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                    Have to agree, we all have a vast amount of visual record informing us what skin tones should look like, not just Caucasian, so people shots are generally a good reference for correcting colour balance. Difficulty arises if you're using daylight film in artificial lighting, but not the case here of course.
                    I've got about 6 rolls of Kodak Portra 800ASA 120 film in the fridge..... But I'm damned if I can get them to fit in the PL7!

Back to serious. I'm sure she had quite pale skin, and that makes it harder to judge what she should look like when correcting for these blue mood lights. I can recall the colour of her dress pretty well, and I tried to go by that at first, but it changes in such a way as to make her skin tone completely wrong when I adjust the sliders. I'll put up the next shots tomorrow. Quite different.

Comment

If you're not going to use the Porta, get it stuffed away in the freezer.
                      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X