Starkly dead tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starkly dead tree

At inland edge of Sefton coast dunes this tree stood out. It was one of many trees that seem to have drowned in the sand.
    It is not as sharp as it should be but do you think it worth returning to rework and if so how ?
    Jeff

Re: Starkly dead tree

Not claiming to be an expert but........

Background is a little complicated IMHO.

A different viewpoint might work better, if its available...........
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

From where you were standing, what was the field of view from the other side of the tree?
      It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
        From where you were standing, what was the field of view from the other side of the tree?
        Sand dune with grass, scrubby trees - some alive, sand dunes and sky. Not a cohesive composition potential.
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post

Aha. The background was "difficult", and I share your opinion.
          I was halfway up a grassy sand dune and getting a better angle was not an option, at least with the lens I had.
          I think I need to try again.
          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post

Aha. The background was "difficult", and I share your opinion.
            I was halfway up a grassy sand dune and getting a better angle was not an option, at least with the lens I had.
            I think I need to try again.
            Jeff

Comment

It certainly is an interesting tree. The background might be a little too close, but it strikes me as a candidate for painting with light at night.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I like the background although I may look at darkening it a bit. Perhaps a touch of fill in flash to allow a shorter exposure would do the trick.
                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                  I like the background although I may look at darkening it a bit. Perhaps a touch of fill in flash to allow a shorter exposure would do the trick.
                  I take your point but it would need a mighty powerful flash to illuminate the dead tree and there could be spill over onto the background.
                  Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                    It certainly is an interesting tree. The background might be a little too close, but it strikes me as a candidate for painting with light at night.
                    Thanks for an idea that had not occurred to me.
                    Will have to learn how to keep the shutter open for a few minutes while I scramble from camera to tree and back again.
                    Jeff

Comment

This needs different lighting where the tree is strongly lit and shadows and background are darkened then expose for the tree
                      This also seems a bit soft on the dead tree where did you focus?

Here is a clumsy mono edit

Not my shot 2017-21 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
                      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                        This needs different lighting where the tree is strongly lit and shadows and background are darkened then expose for the tree
                        This also seems a bit soft on the dead tree where did you focus?

Here is a clumsy mono edit

Not my shot 2017-21 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
                        Thanks for post.
                        I accepted at the beginning that there is a sharpness problem. I intended to focus on the tree but evidently I did not. Another reason to go back.
                        Have to say I am not keen on the mono. The black hole in the middle background is too stark for my taste and somehow the dead trees to the sides seem more pronounced than in my version and take my attention from the centre tree. It's all a matter of taste I think.
                        I spent years in my darkroom printing monochrome and I now so much enjoy the freedom in Lightroom to easily edit colour that I seldom revert to monochrome unless I can see a good reason to do so.
                        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by chorleyjeff View Post
                          Thanks for post.
                          I accepted at the beginning that there is a sharpness problem. I intended to focus on the tree but evidently I did not. Another reason to go back.
                          Have to say I am not keen on the mono. The black hole in the middle background is too stark for my taste and somehow the dead trees to the sides seem more pronounced than in my version and take my attention from the centre tree. It's all a matter of taste I think.
                          I spent years in my darkroom printing monochrome and I now so much enjoy the freedom in Lightroom to easily edit colour that I seldom revert to monochrome unless I can see a good reason to do so.
                          Jeff
                          Jeff
                          I said it was clumsy edit so accept that it is not the best that could be produced but it was not a great start point so I did not give it my best efforts.
                          As a long time printer I am sure you work out to sort this I will leave you to it.
                          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

I think Alfbranch has made the photo work well...............

Just MHO
                            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                              Jeff
                              I said it was clumsy edit so accept that it is not the best that could be produced but it was not a great start point so I did not give it my best efforts.
                              As a long time printer I am sure you work out to sort this I will leave you to it.
                              OK. Hardly worth the effort then.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X