Which One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which One?

Can you help…..I need to submit one of these images for a comp at the local camera club, the trouble is I’m really, really not sure which one I should enter .
    I would value some opinion from forum members.

Pier1

Pier2

Re: Which One?

No 2 for me, I like the pattern of the steelwork. In fact I would crop the sky severely and present it in letterbox format.

It follows, on my record, that no. 1 as shown is therefore the better option.

Comment

Hi Mike

Number two for me also.

Regards. Barr1e
      Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

I'd say #2 too. Seems that much sharper and greater contrast.
        E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/

Comment

Hi Neil

I have a preferance for Pier1, I think the birds in the sky on Pier2 are a bit distracting. But I think the overall image in Pier1 is more appealing. Although it does seem a tad more soft. I think it gives a bit more than Pier2.

Susan

Comment

Number 1 for me as well.

The colours beneath the pier and in the reflections and the lighting of the signs and the bulbs all give the image a lot more interest and as said the birds are a bit distracting in the 2nd

However it is let down by the lack of the front of the building and the cut being part way through the dome - if you have more then use it - if not crop in a bit from the right until it looks straight

Regards
            Andy
            Last edited by shenstone; 24th January 2009, 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
            My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
            4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
            m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
            FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
            The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
            http://www.shenstone.me.uk
            http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
            https://vimeo.com/shenstone
            http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

The first is far far better with a more interesting perspective and nicer reflections. I am certain that the first one would do quite well too (it would if I was judging............!)
              Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Number 1 for me.

Its because the horizons visible below the pier and the angle of prespective is nicer.

Well done.

Ps the other one's nice as well
                All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

I prefer No 1 but I think both of them look a little flat and could be improved by darkening the mid tones and upping the saturation a touch.

Ian C

Comment

I'm a number 1 fan as well - it gives the idea of length, and you've got the the three different textures of sea extending out on diagonals.

Number 2 is OK - but I'm distracted by the concrete abutments on the rhs, they don't form a finished shape.

Anyway there is something about the pier as an unanchored bridge in 1 that appeals.

Nick
                    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

No1 for me also, more textures and interest. I might be tempted to crop the bottom just below the red reflection, just to strengthen the lines.
                      The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

No.1 for me, think the lights help lift theimage and the colours are better.
                        Glen
                        Cogito sumere potum alterum

Comment

No 1 for me. I like the reflections and find the foreground distracting on number 2. Also the perspective on no.2 seems strange, as though it was taken with a very wide angle lens.
                          Shirley
                          www.shirleyhollisenterprises.co.uk
                          www.photographsbyshirley.co.uk

Comment

#2 with the balloons N.T.

N.T. = No Text

Comment

No 2 but crop the top. Long things almost always look better in "Panoramic" format. Try a 16x9 crop

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Working...
                              X