Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

One (two) from the Peak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One (two) from the Peak

A flying visit to Hathersage via Burbage North enabled me a little time to try and get a view or two. Misty most of the time so had to choose my moment. this scene appealed to me, but is it better in colour or mono? Taken with E-M5 and Leica 14-150mm and both pod in LR4.2

And the mono conversion:

All comments welcome!

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Re: One (two) from the Peak

Lovely shot. For me, this one works better in colour. I think it is because the colours are muted and subtle, which gives a lot of atmosphere.

If it was as cold as it looks, I hope you have thawed out!

Ciao ... John

Comment

Great images David. very atmospheric. I think no1 has a slight edge over the 2nd one.
      Which do you prefer.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.

Comment

Colour is the one for me, it might be worth trying a crop and losing some of the foreground?
        Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
        Flickr

Comment

The sky makes the 1st image for me, has that heavy , snow laden look .
          The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Another vote for colour, and maybe cropping out some of the field... nice shot!
            GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Much nicer with that hint of colour in the sky I think. It goves the image a later (or early) in the day context and emphasizes the coldness.
              John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

the colour version is better as the blown highlights in the sky work better. The subtle colure are very nice.
                OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Thank you all for your positive comments. I myself prefer the colour version and I only tried the mono as the foreground appeared already to be black and white. I am not a fan of B&W except for just a few subjects and this is not one of them. I agree that a foreground crop would add to the image, I ashamed to say I didn't give enough thought to the composition at the time!

Regards

David

Comment

Another vote for colour! The colours are so subtle, but still bring a lot to the image. You could crop out a lot from the foreground to give the landscape a more interesting
                    composition. Also - did you take this in RAW? You could maybe bring down the whites, to recover some in the blown out parts, or use a gradient.
                    -----------
                    Cathrine

sigpic

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
                    My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio

Comment

Originally posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
                      Another vote for colour! The colours are so subtle, but still bring a lot to the image. You could crop out a lot from the foreground to give the landscape a more interesting
                      composition. Also - did you take this in RAW? You could maybe bring down the whites, to recover some in the blown out parts, or use a gradient.
                      Thanks

Yes I did take this in RAW and I have brought down the whites as much as I dare without reducing the overall contrast too much. I've also used the graduated filter facility in LR4 to reduce exposure in the sky and slightly increase the colour, I feel I've got just about as much out of it as I am able, but I'll have another go.

Regards

David

Comment

Working...
                      X