• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to focus on...?

Head or detail in the wings... Assuming i cant get side on

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzych...n/photostream/

Re: What to focus on...?

Steve, you'll get more responses if you put the photo on here rather than just the link.

Some excellent stuff in your Flickr photostream - get posting some more!

Janet
    My flickr photostream....

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzychoonz View Post
      Head or detail in the wings... Assuming i cant get side on

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzych...n/photostream/
      I agree, some super shots. However... you will get many more views and comments if you link the images directly in here rather than have people go away from here to view your pages. Just some friendly advice from a long term member.

As to your question; I can't see the EXIF, but for macro shots you need to increase the DoF by using a smaller aperture - and maybe an external flash. That way with your super composition, you will get the wings and the head both in focus.
      John

Comment

Does it take so long to post a medium-sized link?

( Enclose the image address in [img] tags. )

Anyway, to critique : here's where focus-stacking does the job. Not my expertise but that head and eye need to be in focus too or it just looks imcomplete.

Comment

Apologies all.. But no matter what i tried i could not attach the photo properly... Everything ended up with just a small box with the question mark in.
          Maybe im being impatient and have to wait until the server can process the image, however i spent an hour trying to attach. Im familiar with this type of forum layout and the control system... It just point blank refused to work..ill keep trying.

Comment

Comment

Getting angry..

Comment

P5240059 by dizzychoonz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

I give up.. Sorry it just will not work..

Comment

Perhaps im doing this wrong...
                    Go to the share tab in my flickr... Click on get html/bb code... Copy html( doesnt work)
                    Copy bb..( doesn't work)
                    Copy Via grab the link tab..(does not work)
                    Copy the main url from the page...( does not work).

Im pasting all of these in between the [img tags.. Is it something to do with my number of postings?

Im out of options here

Comment

Go to your photo page...

Click on "Share"

Click on "Grab the HTML/BBCode"

(make sure you select BBCode...)

...there's also an option here to choose the display size.

Copy the link and then just paste it into the text box...no need to worry about using the linky thing..

Hope that helps! It really is very simple once you get to grips with it! I find it by far the easiest way to share photos.

Janet

Comment

P5240059 by dizzychoonz, on Flickr

only way i can post is to copy the bb link on flickr and paste direct to the text box...no img tags..that will not work..direct bb link only for me.

Comment

That appears to have worked just fine!

Janet

Comment

To go back to your question, in my opinion, as in most portraits, the eyes have it. So focus on the head.

Of course, if you can get the entire damsel in the same image plane so much the better.
                            Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzychoonz View Post
                              Apologies all.. But no matter what i tried i could not attach the photo properly... Everything ended up with just a small box with the question mark in.
                              Maybe im being impatient and have to wait until the server can process the image, however i spent an hour trying to attach. Im familiar with this type of forum layout and the control system... It just point blank refused to work..ill keep trying.
                              If you click [Quote] on Ulfic's post, you will see the string (of characters) that he used to include your photo. Also, it is best to use [Preview Post] until you are sure of what you want in the post, but failing that, you can always edit it afterwards to correct typos that were missed (as many of us have done) & that way the thread is not cluttered with trials.

When taking photos of anybody, animal or creature, the eyes are the most important thing to focus on. In this case, a sharp focus on the eyes would be all that is needed & it is OK if the body blurs off in the distance, but by closing down the aperture, you will get more of the body in focus. Don't go too far, because then the whole photo will be soft due to diffraction. See here for more info on that. To work with the shallow DoF, try to take photos side on to get most of the body within the focus plane. Focus stacking maybe effective, but only for things that don't move (generally speaking), but aside from that, a lot of images can be very well taken without any stacking involved. Check out Greytop's (Huw) photo of this fly, here.

I hope that helps.
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                              X