Hummingbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummingbird

These are really difficult to catch - and unfortunately this one was about to feed from a feeder rather than a nice flower. But it's the best one I got after about an hour with these birds!

I'll post a few others later. Would be interested to see what you all think though!

Cindy
    Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
    Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
    Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Re: Hummingbird

This is quite pleasing. I would like to see the highlights reduced a bit and get rid of the feederin the top LH corner as it does nothing for the image (clone it out so as to leave space for the bird to move into). Nice pose for the bird and reasonably sharp. Catchlight in eye is good. Background is nicely OOF but the colour starts to blend with blurred wing. Maybe this could be worked on.

Show us more Cindy!
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

I agree that we want to see more, a most unusual bird for Cardiff.

Not sure I'd agree about cloning out the feeder, it does give the picture an explanation and its colours suit the image, but I'd probably reduce the free space on the lhs a bit. A slight boost to the midrange of the curve and a little more sharpening (to emphasise the body compared to the wings) would be my other suggestions.

Very nice shot.

Nick
      Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
      www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

A well-timed shot. What were the exposure details? The highlights in the chin area are a bit bright but it looks like there isn't any detail to bring out if you tried. Agree that a little less on the lhs would be less distracting but be careful of upsetting the balance.

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Nice picture, body nice and sharp with a little wing movement

Comment

On my screen the highlights look very nice. I agree on wanting to see a version with the feeder cloned out. However, I wouldn't clone in the darkest background behind the feeder, but the lighter one behind the bird.

What's the ISO, shutter speed and aperture on this one?
            -----------
            Cathrine

sigpic

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
            My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio

Comment

I've never tried to photograph a hummingbird but I know they're quicker than butterflies, and they're hard enough to capture with a lens!

I think the picture is well detailed and the bird's at a good/interesting angle. I think the feeder is needed to give some idea of scale and would be inclined to try to clone in a flower or something from another picture, to retain some sort of hint of just how small the bird is.
              - my pictures -

Comment

Very nice

I suspect this means you're back from your holiday as I don't remember seeing these around here ether

I actually don't worry about the feeder. it's honest.

EXIF is in the picture so I took a look - it's ISO 200, F5.6m 500th

Regards
                Andy
                My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                  I've never tried to photograph a hummingbird but I know they're quicker than butterflies, and they're hard enough to capture with a lens!

I think the picture is well detailed and the bird's at a good/interesting angle. I think the feeder is needed to give some idea of scale and would be inclined to try to clone in a flower or something from another picture, to retain some sort of hint of just how small the bird is.
                  If it was a flower rather than a feeder I would say keep it in, but it is an unattractive object that just draws attention away from the main subject. And I don't think that it matters how big the bird actually is.
                  Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Here's a try at cloning out the feeder, plus a bit more of a crop.

I did try putting in a flower from another shot - but the focus wasn't as sharp and it looked a bit artificial.

I wonder about a portrait style crop? May try that too later....

Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                    Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                    Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Working...
                    X