please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

I'm posting this here not because I think its good. its not but I'd like some constructive advice , criticism on why my images getting so poor iq was.
    This isn't cropped too much either.
    This is getting quite annoying for me , just when I get the composition I like the IQ goes all to pot.
    iso 800 (which I thought would be fine)
    1/1600 th which was ok,
    whole picture meter..
    no flash
    +1 exposure
    Mind you I needed to lighten it to bring the birds colour out. I know that lightening brings out the noise but really? at iso 800.
    Now obviously the only reason I'm posting this is because this keeps happening to me. the back of the bird looks like fur its so noisy. Oh and for some weird reason noiseware doesn't improve it ? ideas?
    al
    [IMG] PC1491721 by alexsally52, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re: please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Do you mean by poor IQ that noise appears?
    So I gather you are using a 520..now is this jpeg or raw?
    chris
    shetland

Comment

You say you had to lighten the picture - by how much? Are you able to post a (larger) unedited version?
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

jpeg, and this is 50% of the original... my gripe is the dark areaskeep coming out extra noisy...
        sometimes it works but I'm not sure what I do wrong 90% of the time

al

Comment

without seeing the 'unprocessed file' it's impossible to constructively comment on the specific image.

generally though iso 800 + lightening from a 520 file is going to significantly degrade the IQ from the cameras ultimate capability. What are your other settings re NF, mode and have you adjusted sharpness or contrast within the modes? Within PP.

then there is lens - which one? I'm guessing 40-150, which is pretty good from a sharpness/contrast perspective.

correct exposure at iso 320 (say) and uncropped (f5.6 rather than 8 would have helped with the equation) is the sort of thing that would completely change the IQ Of this image.

it is a nice capture
          E, Pen and OM-D bodies
          43 m43 and legacy glass
          loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Hi Al,

Like John (Zuiko) I too would like to see an unedited original, jpeg would be fine.

Regards

Gavin

Comment

This is the original (half of it), unedited. It was at about two metres using my 70-300.
              I have gradation on normal, whole scene meter...
              I have taken bunches of these shots and for every one that comes out good, 8 come out rubbish like this.. maybe the light just wasn't good enough.
              al
              not sure about the contrast setting but the sharpness is +1 in A mode
              http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/...f4e74aab_b.jpg

Comment

Hi Alex, I think the problem is under-exposure. I've just checked the histogram for the original and it is bunched towards the left with quite a gap between the right hand curve and the edge of the scale. Even at ISO 800 this will produce noise in the shadows which will only be made worse if you attempt to lighten the image. Olympus cameras are not noted for high ISO performance but they do perform very well if you get the exposure spot on. This scene looks quite back lit and, although you've already used +1 compensation I think another plus stop would have been about right.
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I wonder if the sharpening is set a bit high - this can emphasise any noise that is there.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                    I wonder if the sharpening is set a bit high - this can emphasise any noise that is there.

John
                    Yes, I just noticed it was set at +1 which I'm sure hasn't helped. I've never used a 520 but on my 510 I found it best to set sharpening to -2 then sharpen as needed after any pp. You can always add it but you can't take it away.
                    John

Comment

Generally, with the E520, it is best to limit most photos to ISO 400 & only use higher values if there is low contrast in the photo, otherwise the noise will be noticable in the dark areas. Also, I'm not a software expert, but programs like Noise Ninja do a nice job on cleaning up noisy photos.
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

You have a very high contrast scene in which part or your bird is bright white and part is very dark green.

I would recommend a camera with ISO-bracketing (makes 3 images from one exposure) and then selecting portions of the image for selective fusion ... HDR-like processing. The e-520 doesn't do that, the e-600(and over) does.
                        Either that or more flash

Comment

Originally posted by alexs View Post
                          This is the original (half of it), unedited. It was at about two metres using my 70-300.
                          I have gradation on normal, whole scene meter...
                          I have taken bunches of these shots and for every one that comes out good, 8 come out rubbish like this.. maybe the light just wasn't good enough.
                          al
                          not sure about the contrast setting but the sharpness is +1 in A mode
                          http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/...f4e74aab_b.jpg
                          the mode I meant was vivid, natural etc - +1 on Sharpening on the 520 is fine but +1 on vivid at iso 800 shooting jpeg is going to build in problems that can't be subsequently resolved.

however, here, the crux of the problem is that you have too much range between the backlit feathers and the birds breast on the left - it's really as simple as that. even at iso 200 you aren't going to bring out any real detail there because it was never illuminated in the first place! I don't think you could have increased the exposure much to your benefit as the wing feathers would go completely - ISO 200 would have enabled you to bring up the birds breast without introducing colour noise but you aren't going to gain detail. you are trying to put stuff in that was never really captured.

also, the image size of the original you posted is only 1024 x 766 which represents a huge crop (about 1/6th of the original) and at that size you are effectively expecting people to look at the file 1:1 and absolutely nothing hides at that.
                          E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                          43 m43 and legacy glass
                          loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Well thanks everyone for all the input. Theres a few things I can take away and have a play with..Ultimately it was very tricky lighting I guess. I will re-visit my settings also and maybe leave adjustments to after the photo has beeb taken. Thank you all for taking the time to look..
                            appreciate it
                            al

Comment

If it was me, I would have shot at a lower ISO and cropped out the bit at the bottom - IMHO it doesnt really add much to the image. Did you try any noise reduction in PP?

Comment

Working...
                              X