Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

A few from South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few from South Africa

Hi all,

so I gave my new kit a good workout on holiday in South Africa. Here's a few. Critique very welcome! All taken with the E620 and the 50-200 and probably most also had the EC14 on it too.

jo sharks & whales 014adj Southern Right Whale by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

jo penguins 042 African Penguins by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

albatross 2 017 Northern Royal Albatross by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

albatross jo 092 Cape Sugarbird by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

albatross jo 081 Orange-breasted Sunbird by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

If you like these I can post a few more, or I've uploaded a trip report to Safaritalk with photos etc. http://safaritalk.net/index.php?showtopic=6038

All the best

Jo

PA205026 Young Leopard by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Re: A few from South Africa

Hi Jo.
    Some great shots there. I take it you're pleased with your Oly kit.
    I read your trip report, fantastic trip, I'm very envious.

Regards
    Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
    OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
    Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Thanks Peter yes I am rather pleased although I'm still not sure whether I should keep the 70-300 considering I've hardly used it. I'm really glad I got the 50-200 and the 1.4 converter.

Comment

Lovely Photos, but the Whale tail is my favourite, well done for capturing the moment so well
        E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

Comment

Originally posted by Kittykat23uk View Post
          Thanks Peter yes I am rather pleased although I'm still not sure whether I should keep the 70-300 considering I've hardly used it. I'm really glad I got the 50-200 and the 1.4 converter.
          Great shots. Have you considered a Battery Grip with your 50-200 plus converter. I too have an E-600/620 and recently purchased the HDL-5 grip which reviews suggest balance the heavier lenses very well on the relatively light-weight E600/620 bodies. I'm still waiting to get a proper chance to try out the body+grip+70-300 as it's supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife (if you know what I mean!)

Dave

Comment

I should have added that the bird shots are impressive although the second might have been better with a little cropping. Having photographed birds, I know how tricky they can be, however!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Blincodave View Post
              I should have added that the bird shots are impressive although the second might have been better with a little cropping. Having photographed birds, I know how tricky they can be, however!

Dave
              I often think that showing birds and animals in their environment is a good thing therefore you shouldn't crop too much.
              Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

The Cape Sugarbird works very well for me because it isn't overly cropped and you still get a good sense of the bird in its environment.

Dave

Comment

Excellent set of pictures, Jo. The whale tail is my favourite, whale watching is something I'd love to do.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've not tried a battery grip- spent too much on the lenses LOL!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've not tried a battery grip- spent too much on the lenses LOL! One thing I really struggled with was night photography. Missed loads of shots. But this one worked:

elephant plains to lower sabie jo 080 Lion by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

and I like this one

elephant plains to lower sabie jo 099 Grey Heron by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Kittykat23uk View Post
                        Thanks everyone. I've not tried a battery grip- spent too much on the lenses LOL!
                        I use grips on my E620, E3 and E5. The latter are quite expensive but you should get one for the E620 for under fifty quid. Well worth it with the heavier lenses.
                        David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X