Dead tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead tree

I was out for a walk the other day by the Wilts & Berks canal that is being restored. Saw this tree and a realised a potential viewpoint by lying on my back and shooting straight up. An on the spur of the moment shot:

E-3, 12-60mm lens & circular polarising filter.

Steve
    Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
    Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
    My website

Re: Dead tree

That is one monster picture :-) I would prefer not to lose the branches out of frame.. but maybe you had no choice. Great image though.

Pete.
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
      That is one monster picture :-) I would prefer not to lose the branches out of frame.. but maybe you had no choice. Great image though.

Pete.
      It was quick snap without too much thought to it. The lens was at it's widest aperture as well. Unfortunately, I have not included the exif data might go back next week with the 7-14mm and re-do.

Steve
      My website

Comment

Yes, if you can catch all the branches plus the trunk with the right sky, then you have the potential for a mega print there :-)

Pete
        Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Like it, love the different perspective you have chosen.

It doesn't bother me about the branches, sometimes it suits the subject and overall picture for some extremities to extend out of the frame and for me this is one of those occasions. It'll be interesting to see if you can reshoot with the 7-14 what the alternative would look like.

Comment

The texture & cracking in the trunk is ace, I think dead trees make for good subjects. I also like the composition, with the tree rising out of the bottom right.
            John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Finally, conditions were right to take the same shot with the 7-14mm lens.

Steve
              My website

Comment

Both great shots but I actually prefer the original which is more dramatic. The lower part of the distorted trunk is emphasised yet there is still more detail in the higher branches. Also in the second shot the other trees in the background distract from the stark dead tree.
                Thanks for sharing.
                Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Peter stole my words. Being a cheat I'd have had a crack at cloning out the branch ends on the original, but it wouldn't have been easy to stop it looking like they'd been sawn off.
                  John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Yes, I do prefer the first but posted this to show the difference between the 12-60mm and 7-14mm at their widest angles.

Steve
                    My website

Comment

Working...
                    X