Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Snaar snaps: Village in Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snaar snaps: Village in Spring

Aaah. Spring at last.

Here is a rather artistic effort by Seth the Ploughman. He has just made his way round the corner with Dobbin the old Shire.
    One of those views that requires you park the car now and get out the camera...

The farm bonfire. Not as spectacular as the charcoal burners in the wood shot I took 12 years ago, but there is something about smoke contre-jour that has always captured me.

Finally: Lunchbox for horses

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Snaar snaps: Village in Spring

Nice too see you in the groove again Pete.

#1 for me.

Regards. Barr1e
    Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Here is a poser for you: Here are three pictures down the bottom of the farm. I spotted this field in preparation across the valley. (This is well into private land, but I spoke to our landlord and he has ok'd my small excursions...)

Apologies, the pictures are all rather similar.

Here we have the new farming. Bigger tractors, bigger implements and bigger fields than I remember in my youth.

Which picture is best?

(edit: Fence wire removed, Horse rotated)

or..

or....

Pete
      Last edited by snaarman; 11th March 2010, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I like number 3 the tractor looks so dinky
        Regards
        Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Comment

I like the juxtaposition of "old" and "new" in number 1.

Rod

Comment

Hi

No. 1 is too busy and my eye bounces back and forwards between the horse and tractor occasionally deviating to the trees. The fences also stop you 'getting into' the picture.
            No. 2 is OK and would probably make a good picture for Farmer's Weekly. (If it did and earned money, fine.)
            No. 3 I like. The curving lines of the turned soil give it more movement. I might drop the fence.
            Hope I'm not being too critical.
            Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderer View Post
              Hi

No. 1 is too busy and my eye bounces back and forwards between the horse and tractor occasionally deviating to the trees. The fences also stop you 'getting into' the picture.
              No. 2 is OK and would probably make a good picture for Farmer's Weekly. (If it did and earned money, fine.)
              No. 3 I like. The curving lines of the turned soil give it more movement. I might drop the fence.
              Hope I'm not being too critical.
              Thanks for the comments folks.. Critical is always good :-) This was one of those grab it as best you can situations. The tractor set off soon after I arrived and I didn't have time to wait for it to do a full circuit of a giant field. I wanted to get the old-versus-new thing going with the first picture but these new electric tape fences are all over the place..

edit: I did some outrageous cloning on the first image, reversed the horse and removed the electric fence to give it a more open look. Aaah, Photoshop :-)

I quite agree about the contours - modern agriculture draws parallel lines all over the place and these can be very graphic when showing off the contours of the land. I think I prefer the 3rd shot myself, and I do wonder about the foreground fence.

All the above with the humble 40-150 kit lens, which is not bad at all in my opinion..

Pete
              Last edited by snaarman; 11th March 2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Here is the Old Locked Shed. Right next to the playing field.

Who knows what is inside? Maybe the old mower? Last year's cricket team? Fairly soon it will have vanished under the rampaging ivy and will fade into a legend...

Pete

Comment

Comment

Mmm. You are probably right Will it be there if we unlock the door?

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                      Mmm. You are probably right Will it be there if we unlock the door?
                      And will it be dead or alive?

Perhaps you should check up on last years cricket team. I'm getting worried now.
                      Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                      OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                      Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Quite suddenly last month a quarter of a mile of overgrown narrow lane became open and light. The road is now edged with these nice angular shapes. One hopes that nature will set to and start to restore the hedges this summer..

Pete

Comment

The view from the west:

Behind the church on a private track (permission obtained) I found a reverse angle from amongst the horse paddocks

Pete

Comment

This splendid old warrior, patched and battered, is coming up for fifty years on the land, and still going strong..

Aaah. The Fergie 35. A thing of beauty IMHO

Pete

Comment

Does anyone remember these?

Mad bad and dangerous to own, the excellent Allen Scythe. We had one at school. How many near misses were there in the long grass I wonder. Apparently the clutch lever only stops the wheels, the cutter bar always runs if the Villiers engine is running

They came in this sort of shape from the mid 50's to 1973.

This one doesn't look like its given up the fight just yet...

Respec'

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X