Snaar snaps: Village in Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snaar snaps: Village in Spring

You wait until you see one of those things fly.......
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

When I saw this view I came over all poetic and this evening I dug out these lines from the prologue to The Canterbury Tales...

WHAN that Aprille with his shoures soote
      The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote,
      And bathed every veyne in swich licour,

Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Now I doubt that Chaucer was faced with rape fields like these, and I know its May not Aprille, but those worrying dark shower clouds certainly contrast nicely with the ubiquitous yellow foreground...

Pete
      Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Simple and effective, what a fantastic sky!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          Simple and effective, what a fantastic sky!
          Yes.. strange weather today. You look one way and its all sunshine and blue sky. Look the other way and it looks like a thunderstorm is due. Anyway, never one to ignore an opportunity, the nasty sky and the yellow field were a bit of a gift :-)

Anyway, here is a more intimate image. This is the corner of a north facing barn, This neck of the woods never sees the sun, so its slowly turning more green than black :-)

Pete

Comment

OK. I apologise for more blue and yellow, but right now yellow seems to fill the horizons. Thus: Here is the old dilapidated cowshed up to its knees in a rape seed crop..

In contrast, here is a down on your knees, live view enabled, hands in the mud view of the humble dandelion clock (well done, 14-54 and E620...)

Finally, a view that sums up the village in late spring. Horses in the upper paddock, sky and hedges...

Pete

Technique comments: Shot number 2, Dandelion. This took several attempts at different apertures. I really wanted the dandelion to be sharp, but equally I wanted the distracting background to be sufficiently OOF. This was the closest to my ideal.

Comment

Nice shots Pete I would have been on my belly for the dandy

Love the storm clouds over the yellow rape
              My Flickr Home Page

Comment

That dandelion picture is a cracker, Pete. It was perishing cold for the time of year where I live today, I'll be glad when you can legitimately start a "Village in Summer" thread.
                John

Comment

I think perhaps we can allow ourselves a new thread for summer next month:-)

Meanwhile, I spotted this peculiarity deep in a hedge. I am certain someone knows what these are, but they sure look like white bluebells.. Even if they are something else, I've never seen whatever they are before....

This was a surprisingly difficult shot to get, as they were defended by 2 feet of spiky hedge and I could only get the nose of the lens in a short distance

Pete

Comment

And finally, two more pictures to finish off the Spring thread.

Here we have the Old Fence. You don't seem to see this wire and hurdles type construction much these days. I have no idea how long this has been here, it marches across the forgotten boundary of an overgrown garden.

I rather like the way that the wire remains long after the fence has gone :-)

And: The old churchyard wall.

I was taken by the way the moss concentrates on the mortar and ignores the bricks... the Lichen likes bricks but leaves the mortar alone

Pete

Comment

Lovely evocative series, as always! But I am puzzled. The EXIF data on several of the shots shows that they were taken with the 14-54mm lens, but at the same time gives of focal length of, for example, 76 mm. Were you using a converter?

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidsa View Post
                        Lovely evocative series, as always! But I am puzzled. The EXIF data on several of the shots shows that they were taken with the 14-54mm lens, but at the same time gives of focal length of, for example, 76 mm. Were you using a converter?

David
                        Yes, well spotted. I usually work with just two lenses - the 11-22 and the 14-54+EC14 (which turns into 20-76mm) Thus the two lenses cover 11-76 which is good enough for quite a range of shots.

Pete

Comment

Last year near Oban in Glen Nant Nature Reserve found one white bluebell just off the path on a 2 mile walk through the blue ones. Took a photo but didn't do it justice and I'm certainly not putting it into your thread. Probably some sort of recessive gene. (guess)
                          The moss must be a lime lover, the lichen a lime hater.
                          Enough serious stuff.

As ever cracking photos.
                          Particularly like the out of focus horses.

Duncan
                          Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

Working...
                          X