Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snaar snaps: Village in Spring

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
    Pete, sorry to be pedantic but the bells are down not up Ask Matthew Higby about that - I believe he is hanging them.

Looks a nice tidy job though. I look forward to ringing them in August.
    Aha, might see you :-)

It does look a nice job, an awful lot of steel up there. Hopefully they wont shake the "garden shed" off the top of the church ...

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Hi Pete

I wouldn't dare suggest which one I prefer from the others because they are all great. I always enjoy your work!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Gordon View Post
        Hi Pete

I wouldn't dare suggest which one I prefer from the others because they are all great. I always enjoy your work!!

Hi Bill.

Nice to hear from you, and I hope spring is on its way over there.. BTW - Are you planning a trip over the pond this year?

Pete

Comment

Pete

PM sent
          David

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
            Hi Bill.

Nice to hear from you, and I hope spring is on its way over there.. BTW - Are you planning a trip over the pond this year?

Pete
            Hi Pete
            I will be in London England (where history began for Canada) May 1st to May 9th amsterdam May 10th to 14th and back to London May 14th to 24th....while in London I hope to do day trips to places that I have been to before and to places that I haven't been to such as Epping (by tube from Marble Arch) Oxford (where I have been several times and just love it) Ely for the first time, and who knows. Would love to meet up with all of your people on this site but when you have outings it is always before or after I have been there.

I love this site because of the friendly atmosphere that is generated by the members but I do have another site that is equally as good (www.mu-4/3rds) as I now have dropped down to the smaller, lighter camera. The E-3 was too big and heavy for me.

Keep on shooting in that small village that you live in..you find so much that is interesting and I am certain that I am not alone in saying that your work improves with each posting.

Cheers

Comment

Just a text entry this time.

Yesterday we had a thunderstorm go over, all a bit scarey what with the village being on top of the hill. In the middle of the thunder and occasional flashes of lighting and intense hail showers rattling the roof - the new peal of 6 church bells started to sound next door. Oooh, now thats weird.

Then the bells settled down to a tuneful sequence and I discover later loads of cars outside the church: In fact its a ringing team up here for their first practice. Too dark, wet and thundery for a picture I'm afraid - netx time the church is open I will see if there are 6 new strings (or whatever they are called) hanging down. Watch this space

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                In fact its a ringing team up here for their first practice. Too dark, wet and thundery for a picture I'm afraid - netx time the church is open I will see if there are 6 new strings (or whatever they are called) hanging down. Watch this space

Pete
                The highly technical term is ropes
                David

Flickr

Comment

Here we are, a nice arty picture of the new bell stri.. sorry, I mean bell ropes.

Just a little bit of carpentry going on at present, and it should be all ready to go for Easter.

Pete

Oh, that reminds me, I should get some new ropes for my guitar.

Comment

The Black Barn

Black seems to be the new brown around the village. There are several wooden farm buildings that one might expect to be natural finish that have in fact been painted black. Its a nice effect, but it must take some maintenance.

Pete

Comment

Spring is sprung:

The village green has been mowed, leaving nice stripes on it, and daffs have sprung up next to the seat.

Likewise daffs have magically appeared in the churchyard. I grabbed the chance of some pictures while we had this lovely blue sky first thing...

However, we had a quick hailstorm in the afternoon, so Winter ain't finished with us yet..

Pete

Comment

Very nice Pete....a spot of heaven on earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Gordon View Post
                          Very nice Pete....a spot of heaven on earth?
                          What can I say Bill..? I have worked in worse places

Pete

Comment

Its one of those eternal mysteries: Why do old baths congregate in the corner of fields? Are they hiding from something?

:-)

Pete

Comment

Further thoughts on the bath thing:

You always seem to find the bath at the corner of the field. The Hedge is always at the edge of the field. The single tree is usually in the middle of the field.

I wonder: Have we stumbled on an explanantion? Could it be an example of the ancient playground game of Bath-Tree-Hedge ??

(Does anyone recall the rules?)

Comment

I have been biding my time awaiting better weather and more sunlight. In the absence of either I took my own daylight with me in the form of a flash on a string.

Thus I offer this moody overgrown corner as my only half decent shot from today...

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X