Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Autumn Colours ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn Colours ?

A couple I took last weekend whilst out looking for the Monmouthshire Volcano (yes there really is one, but you missed it being axciting by about 250 million years )

It was a bit hazy for the long views, but such a nice day

I've tweaked the contrast in both a little, but not the colours yet the look quite different. I prefer the colours in the 2nd, (I keep wondering whether they are too harsh?) but the composition in the 1st.

C&C are welcome as always

Regards
    Andy
    My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
    4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
    m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
    FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
    The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
    http://www.shenstone.me.uk
    http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
    https://vimeo.com/shenstone
    http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Re: Autumn Colours ?

No 2 does it for me.
    sigpicDave

Comment

I know it's not the looking for perfection section BUT ....I like both shots except for parts being a bit dark.
      I copied them and just moved the midtones to the left in levels a bit and some great detail popped out.It also livened up the sunny areas.
      If I was doing a mod i would just do these areas only as the rest looks great.

Keith
      Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
      Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

No.2 for me too - I like the zig-zag of the valley which leads you through the landscape, and I prefer the colour saturation in this one too.

However, I'd also agree that both seem too dark in parts - with no.2 the wood in the middle of shot could probably do with a little lift in lightness, while in no.1 the fields in the centre seem to be lacking impact that could probably be increased though more lightness and more saturation possibly.

Regards
        Chris
        If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
        or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

Great shots Andy, I agree with the previous 2 comments.

Paul

Comment

2 does it for me, but I'd like to see the suggested improvements as an exercise in PP. Would be nice to compare, as I like 2 as it is.

DavidJ.

Comment

No2 for me as well, sounds stupid I know, but looking at it makes me feel as I could just step into it. I guess its as Catkins said the zig zag of the valley leads you into it.

Comment

I love 2. Just like my back garden..........I wish.

Bob
                Bob

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
                GEORGE ORWELL

Comment

your so lucky to have scenery like that where you are, great colours and light, brill job

Comment

Yep, number two here as well. Good composition.
                    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by DavidJ1609 View Post
                      2 does it for me, but I'd like to see the suggested improvements as an exercise in PP. Would be nice to compare, as I like 2 as it is.

DavidJ.
                      As usual I've had a play with both images to help illustrate where the effect of lightening could help - and as usual this is not critique or the correct solution but solely a possible alternative!

With No.2 the key possible improvement is by lightening the field in the middle right of the photo. This then has to be balanced with lightening other areas depending what method is being used - i.e. in ACDSee Pro 3, I use 'Lighting - Light EQ' with 9 Tone Bands, and when I alter the lightness of the field it can also lighten the hills, when in reality I would prefer that area to be slightly darker. So the alterations to No.2 are subtle and fairly minimal - there is detail in the dark areas of the woods in the middle, but as noted previously they help lead you through the image, and lightening this area reduces that effect.

So by way of example, I've actually used No.1 photo to similarly illustrate the changes that altering lighting brings. I've also added 'Bloom' to soften the image, and this is purely for my own subjective taste!! There are still aspects of colour in my example that I would with more time alter.
                      By altering the lighting I feel this image starts to increase in my subjective preference, with again the dark woods leading you in and through the colourful sunlit scene towards the hills in the background.

Hope that this helps illustrate what a good image the original is,

Regards
                      Chris

Comment

These are what I meant about just getting the detail out in the dark areas.
                        Keith

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
                        Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback and especially re the composition of #2. It was the shape of the valley that attracted me to the shots in the 1st place, but I struggled to frame it to my satisfaction.

What I find intersesting and amusing in any ways about the suggestions is how much the resulting images are staring to resemble the OOC JPG files in certain areas.

I had thought them to be too misty so started tweaking. Which I tend to find if I've taken more than 30 seconds over I start to be more destructive than constructive

BTW you will note the telegraph poles in the original. Darkness or Not they had to go

Regards
                          Andy
                          My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                          4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                          m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                          FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                          The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                          http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                          http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                          https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                          http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shenstone View Post

What I find intersesting and amusing in any ways about the suggestions is how much the resulting images are staring to resemble the OOC JPG files in certain areas.

I had thought them to be too misty so started tweaking. Which I tend to find if I've taken more than 30 seconds over I start to be more destructive than constructive
                            Thanks for that comment. I frequently find the same thing and assumed it was just that I'm rubbish at PP. You've helped to restore a newbie's confidence and encourage me to keep at it.
                            Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                            OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                            Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Out Of Camera images that are well composed are always the ideal, with the knowledge that personal preferences in colour, lightness, etc can be altered by Post Processing to suit in effect something that could be defined as a subjective opinion.
                              As in these images, a good initial image is a key essential. Planning, a good eye for detail, layout, etc. help to ensure that the foibles of poor LCD screens, atmospheric conditions, etc. can at least be corrected afterwards. Some images will be taken as a general image but then later a particular purpose may suit that image, and so post processing starts to come into its own.

The digital revolution has brought about a great change in the way photographs are taken and then used, but I still hark back to my student days of owning a Zenith E and a wide angle lens, everything was manual and a fair bit of thought had to go into what you were doing - it was a great learning curve, but what really interested me was composition, the design and layout of the image. My technical abilities and my interest in these technicalities was never particularly high, so it wasn't until the digital age came along that I really began to enjoy all aspects of photography. The challenges of getting a good photo can be backed up by the amazing things that we can now do on the computer with those images. But it can be difficult knowing when to stop (or perhaps when even not to start!).

Compostion of an image i.e. OOC to a certain extent has certain rules that can help easily guide the taking of an image, but manipulation of an image i.e. PP is much more of a subjective proces. So really, for those learning, the key is to enjoy the PP and make what you want of your images - experiment, play with settings, try alternatives and find a style. For 'newbies' don't be afraid to ignore complex Photoshop type programs and instead use some of the freebies (Picasa, Photoscape, etc.) with their easy shortcuts - it can make it easier and quicker to see how different effects change an image - even the cataloguing programs like ACDSee Pro can make useful changes simply, while still allowing you to revert back to the original image if you don't like what you've done.
                              This forum shows the range of ideas, but make sure that you challenge those ideas too!

Regards
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X