Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

    Hey All

    I had a totally fantastic, and I mean absolutely fantastic day out yesterday up in the Brecon Beacons close to a small place called Llanthony. There's many different walks one can go on around that area, and belive it or not I was absolutely astounded and delighted when all the family agreed to come out on an afternoon hike in the hills. So, Jen (wife), Heather (we all know Heather), Lloyd (yep... my super 17yr old lad came too), Lynda (wifes sister) and Hazel (Lyndas mate) - plus the three dogs all went out, in two vehicles, for a stunning 4 hour walk.

    The thing is... despite having a superb time, I will readily admit to having a lot to learn about landscape photography and might even book myself on a day course with a pro about this later in the year.

    SO, still have loads to look at and consider, but here's one I sort of liked... I'd really love to be able to have a good hand and eye for landscapes but its a skill I don't have and need to learn. Maybe I shall post a few more soon, and I have to look at Heathers yet too, but I quite liked this one.



    As ever everyone... C&C welcome...
    John


  • #2
    Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

    Hi John

    Sounds like you had a good day out and the weather looks nice too, bonus

    The colours seem quite saturated, but I do like the variation of colours, the greens, reds and browns.
    The only wee bit I find a bit distracting is the halo/shadowy line between the landscape and sky at the left-hand side.

    Looking forward to seeing more of yours and some of Heathers shots from the day as well

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

      Will secretly admit to a little bit of pseudo HDR processing on this little image...
      John

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

        John

        Don't mean to sound critical but have you got a new monitor? It seems murky and over saturated to me, and I usually love your work..sorry

        I do like the subject though and wish I could have been there. Getting my two lads to come on family things is hard now (17 and 20) so Lloyd is a star.

        Peter
        Peter (Art Frames)

        You can see some of my things on Flickr

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

          Originally posted by art frames View Post
          John

          Don't mean to sound critical but have you got a new monitor? It seems murky and over saturated to me, and I usually love your work..sorry

          I do like the subject though and wish I could have been there. Getting my two lads to come on family things is hard now (17 and 20) so Lloyd is a star.

          Peter
          Ahhhh... now I am being totally honest here... yes, I processed this on my external monitor and not on my Mac monitor as I usually do. Will have a look now...

          *dreads what one will find!!
          John

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

            OMG! OMG OMG!

            I have sooooo let myself down with this...! very sorry folks. I shall leave it up for now, as I am now sat down with the wife and kids - but on my Mac.

            Totally agree, the difference in this image when it is viewed on my Phillips 22" and then on Macbook is quite astonishing. Lesson learned - thanks folks.

            J
            John

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

              Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
              Ahhhh... now I am being totally honest here... yes, I processed this on my external monitor and not on my Mac monitor as I usually do. Will have a look now...

              *dreads what one will find!!
              I have a new 30 inch Mac screen on it's way to replace this 23 inch. I know what you mean you do get spoiled.
              Peter (Art Frames)

              You can see some of my things on Flickr

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                Originally posted by art frames View Post
                I have a new 30 inch Mac screen on it's way to replace this 23 inch. I know what you mean you do get spoiled.
                OMG I am soooo jealous Peter... a 30" Mac screen would be total bliss.

                I was looking at purchasing a 24" screen but might be tempted to save a little more and get a superb Mac screen instead a little later.
                John

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                  Thought this might be suitable as an animated icon for your line of business. (Bu**er didn't work.)

                  Regards. Barr1e
                  Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                    Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                    OMG! OMG OMG!

                    I have sooooo let myself down with this...! very sorry folks. I shall leave it up for now, as I am now sat down with the wife and kids - but on my Mac.

                    Totally agree, the difference in this image when it is viewed on my Phillips 22" and then on Macbook is quite astonishing. Lesson learned - thanks folks.

                    J
                    Never mind, shows you're human too. But you might want to have a look at the barn pic as well...
                    Peter (Art Frames)

                    You can see some of my things on Flickr

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                      Originally posted by art frames View Post
                      Never mind, shows you're human too. But you might want to have a look at the barn pic as well...
                      Done... thanks Peter.
                      John

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                        John -

                        Another attempt.

                        See edit

                        Regards. Barr1e
                        Last edited by Barr1e; 27th January 2008, 09:12 PM. Reason: Which failed.
                        Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                          John -

                          Yet another attempt at putting the band here.



                          Regards. Barr1e
                          Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                            Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                            Hey All

                            I had a totally fantastic, and I mean absolutely fantastic day out yesterday up in the Brecon Beacons close to a small place called Llanthony. There's many different walks one can go on around that area, and belive it or not I was absolutely astounded and delighted when all the family agreed to come out on an afternoon hike in the hills. So, Jen (wife), Heather (we all know Heather), Lloyd (yep... my super 17yr old lad came too), Lynda (wifes sister) and Hazel (Lyndas mate) - plus the three dogs all went out, in two vehicles, for a stunning 4 hour walk.

                            The thing is... despite having a superb time, I will readily admit to having a lot to learn about landscape photography and might even book myself on a day course with a pro about this later in the year.

                            SO, still have loads to look at and consider, but here's one I sort of liked... I'd really love to be able to have a good hand and eye for landscapes but its a skill I don't have and need to learn. Maybe I shall post a few more soon, and I have to look at Heathers yet too, but I quite liked this one.



                            As ever everyone... C&C welcome...
                            Hi John,

                            Disregarding image processing problems (which can easily be fixed) this is a very pleasing photograph. I love your bold use of the wall leading into the frame and you've chosen a particularly interesting arrangement of capstones to place right in the foreground for maximum effect.

                            I find the right hand third of the picture a little dull and empty compared to what is going on the other side of the wall, where lush greens contrast perfectly with darker shades and other colours. Also, on the extreme left of the image the sky has much more colour and detail, which seems to extend beyond the edge of the frame. And there is a very attractive tree that is truncated (no pun intended) by the edge of the frame, which is a pity as it is catching some absolutely gorgeous light.

                            With these factors in mind I would have liked to see the camera raised slightly and angled a little or the left, still retaining the superb line of the wall (which you could not have composed any better) but losing most of the rather dull bracken on the right and making more of the fantastic features that I've mentioned to the left of the wall.

                            To summarise, a very pleasing image as it stands, which could have been a masterpiece with a little adjustment of the composition. The main thing is that you recognise great light (which is 80% towards achieving great landscape photographs) and have an eye for interesting features within the scene, such as the wall. I don't think you're so naive about landscape photography as you believe. If you are, then you've got one hell of a potential!

                            I enjoyed viewing this picture very much indeed.
                            John

                            "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Llanthony Valley - dry stone wall...

                              John -

                              It works over on 4/3rds. I have put it on a thread headed -

                              "For theMusicMan".

                              Sorry to put so many posts here - I don't understand why I had such a problem in posting the image.

                              Regards. Barr1e
                              Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X