Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Snaar snaps: Village in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snaar snaps: Village in winter

Eleven hours of sunlight (theoretically) this week down south. More daylight during which things get done... In fact, here is someone hard at work in the field. What are they doing then ?

Ploughing? Nope, its some diggy object with four spikes attached to the back of the Ford. It has a pipe that stretches up over the horizon in the direction of the farm. Weird. Is this some technical fertilising method where the manure is injected directly into the soil?? It certainly smells like that

On a less pungent subject, here is a little friend sunning himself on the churchyard wall.

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

All excellent and interesting as usual

I DO like the crocusses - you obviously do well as an honorary worm !

Regards
      Andy
      My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
      4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
      m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
      FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
      The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
      http://www.shenstone.me.uk
      http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
      https://vimeo.com/shenstone
      http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Some more nice weather. Hooray.

Here is a study of the churchyard this lunchtime. I keep returning to this subject, but it is the dead centre of the village I guess.

This was with a new purchase, an old Tamron 70-210 f3.8 Currently I am not certain if I will keep it. Zoom is useful but my Tamron 200 f3.5 is somewhat sharper. Decisions decisions.

And here is an exercise in shape and shadow from earlier in the week.

Pete

Comment

Shades of Blue.

The view south over Hampshire at lunchtime gives a splendid range of blues.

There has been a lot of twig carrying going on, and here are the results...*

This above is 212mm at f7.9 (?) What I mean is - this is the kit 40-150 plus EC14 zoomed to the long end and wide open.

Trust me, up close the result is really rather good.... here is a 100% crop

OK, a wide shot now - Rookery view at sunset.

Pete

* I realised when I looked up today that the shot I really want is a rook carrying a twig It kinda sums up spring - but no way can I catch them at it...
          Last edited by snaarman; 5th March 2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Every now and then I experiment by breaking some rules. In this case I have tried square format - something many medium format users have to accept all the time. You can get away with it as long as the contents are nice and asymmetrical, and it occasionally adds to the picture in some way.

I couldn't bring myself to break all the rules and put a tree in the middle of a square picture, however.

Pete

Comment

I made my way up the the village this morning, despite it being the weekend, in order to get some pictures of this event... Not great lighting, but great characters. Its a drag hunt (insert your own jokes...) and the combination of 40 hounds and 30 mounted horses in the narrow road outside the pub more or less blocks the village.

There wasn't much room or vantage point to get a wide shot so I concentrated on characters and details.

I went armed with the E620/grip/wide angle over one shoulder and the E510/tele over the other shoulder. Two people asked me if I was the "official photographer" .. Clearly I should use the grip more often, I felt awfully grown up.

... "Are they open yet"?

Oh, and some you win, some you lose. This ultra low angle shot could have been great, but..

I tried some low angle hounds pictures - I got my lens licked :-)

Pete

Comment

Delivering the goods as usual, Pete, well done.
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Working...
                X