Night Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Photography

Over the past few week s I have been experimenting with night photography. After a rocky start and doing daft things like leaving lens caps on, taking photos with the lens covered in raindrops, and forgetting to take gloves, torches and spare batteries, I am starting to get the hang of things.

This is the Forth Bridges, and is a 118 second exposure at f3.2, and ISO 100. The white streak in the sky is a plane coming into land at Edinburgh airport.

This last one is the Forth Rail Bridge, and is a 118 second exposure at f5.6, and ISO 100.

This last one was taken at Kenmore looking west along Loch Tay, about an hour after sunset, hence the very blue sky. This is a 92 second exposure at f6.3, and ISO 100. Any suggestions as to what I can do to remove the 'green noise' in the left side of the water would be very much appreciated.

Get your tripods out and give it a go

Re: Night Photography

chris...are you shooting raw? if so you can use the WB in post processing
    chris
    shetland

Comment

Yes, the photos all started as RAW's. Many thanks for the suggestion.

I altered the White Balance, and got this.

Comment

no new image
        chris
        shetland

Comment

Comment

Excellent shots thanks for sharing you have inspired me to have a go at night shots
            E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

Comment

They're very nice photos. I love the blue tones of the lake photo.

I recently did a fair bit of night photography while on my OU course. (in fact I think theres some in my gallery here that I submitted for part of the course)

Now I just need to get some warm clothes to try it at this time of the year
              Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!

Comment

A fantastic set of picture Chris...............Well done!

Comment

Nice shots. I've been thinking of heading down there to take some night shots too - the weather has kinda put me off though...

Comment

Some great shots there, Chris. I really like the second Forth Bridge shot.
                    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Congratulations Chris,

I remember the Forth Bridges with fondness from my Navy days. Night photography requires a certain determination that most of us (me) don't have.

Paul

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisW View Post
                          Get your tripods out and give it a go
                          OK, but how did you get the tree to stay still for 118 seconds!
                          When trying HDR, I often get movement in even the mildest weather!

Well done, cracking shots. The most I've done so far is 60 seconds!

Another on my to-do list!

DavidJ.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidJ1609 View Post
                            OK, but how did you get the tree to stay still for 118 seconds!
                            There was very little wind when that photo was taken.

Remember also that because a longer exposure is being used whatever is in the photo needs to stay relatively still otherwise it will not be recorded.

Whilst this can be a disadvantage, it also gives you the creative freedom to include other things in the photo. As per this

This is a 150 second exposure. I started the timer, walked into the shot, stood still holding the flag for about 60 seconds and then walked out of the shot again.

Comment

Working...
                            X