Snaar snaps: Village life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snaar snaps: Village life

Now that I no longer work on a non photogenic trading estate, I thought I might start a thread of occasional views from the new place of work: A small Hampshire village.

Lets start with a few that have already appeared on this forum..

The village church (Saxon details with modifications all the way through to Victorian)

The mobile burglar alarm team go home for the evening

A close up in the churchyard

Don't know what's going on here. Goose herding?

Bring yer own Gnomon.. Is this really a very crude sundial?

More on this theme to follow as I snap my lunchbreaks away..

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Snaar snaps: Village life

I'm certainly in favour of your lunch breaks.

Keep them coming

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I really like the first one Pete, and like Nick says keep em coming.
      10% Off Any Zenfolio Subscription - ZR4-GXW-P2R.
      E-30+HLD-4 | E-510 | ZD14-42 | ZD14-54 MkII | ZD40-150 | ZD50-200 | ZD35 | OM 50/1.8 | FL-36R

Comment

If you've got to go to work that looks as nice a place as any. Try snapping some local scenes with a mirror lens, then instead of just a lunch break you can have a Click Cat!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          If you've got to go to work that looks as nice a place as any. Try snapping some local scenes with a mirror lens, then instead of just a lunch break you can have a Click Cat!
          Can't believe I've just posted the worst attempt at a joke ever! If the Mods want to ban me for a week I'll fully understand.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
            Click Cat!
            Click cat?? Groan:-)

So, here are another couple: Out discovering the footpaths yesterday I came across this chocolate box cottage with a charming stick fence ..

and last week I stopped at the edge of the village for this lone tree shot over a newly harvested field

Pete

Comment

They are some nice shots. I really like the church framed and the birds walking away.
              Derek

www.dncphotography.co.uk

Comment

Today has been overcast. The southeast has had sun, but we have been just under the edge of the cloud all day.

Never mind. I noticed there were workmen in the church today, so I knew it would be unlocked. I borrowed a tripod and shot some views with 7 bracketed shots. Clearly (as Nick T.F demonstrates very well) there is more to photographing church interiors than meets the eye...

Anyway this is a very basic combination of two exposures, and will have to do until I have a serious go at HDR.

Its a nice light interior and - yes - the walls do lean out in a rather alarming manner. (Parts of the church are over a thousand years old, in fact I lean out in an alarming manner on occasions and I have yet to see sixty).

Actually I just noticed something:

The stone sundial outside has a remote control on the inside. The traveller pokes a stick in the sundial, then goes inside and adjusts the thing on the wall until it tells the right time :-)
                Pete
                Last edited by snaarman; 16th October 2009, 07:34 AM.

Comment

It certainly is a photogenic area you're based in now, Pete. Only problem is, how are you ever going to get any work done?
                  John

Comment

Sunny spells today. Out for a lunchtime foray:

An old fashioned sawing horse.

but the 21st century always intrudes :-(

Pete

Comment

Great pictures Pete .................................................. ....Do you actually eat anything at lunchtime?

Comment

Wow, what a beautiful place.

We're lucky you're workingthere
                        - my pictures -

Comment

Love these type of shots Pete, always captivating.

Gotta really love the thread title too... classic!
                          John

Comment

Each evening I drive alongside this field. The crop is all harvested: It just awaits the plough, and so another season begins.

Pete

Comment

Lovely shots as always - this really deserves the blog facility which Ian hasn't yet given us.

I hope Pete continues and gives us a view to the village as seasons change.

The church shots are nice - they work as treated and should come up well with hdr. But it also illustrates a point I've made before (and still struggle with on every shoot) and that is management of edges. Churches make lovely natural frames and then they go and stick half a lectern there, it really is a 'pain'.

Nick
                              Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                              www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X