Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Poor Old Madame Butterfly....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Old Madame Butterfly....

Saw this little chappie whilst out today, didn't realise he was in such a state, still it didn't seem to put him off fluttering as he sure lead me a merry dance (right through a patch of stinging nettles)
    I am by no means a butterfly expert so I've no idea if this is a normal state for a speciman to be in
    Any ideas?

Re: Poor Old Madame Butterfly....

Neil

This is a Painted Lady which is a migrant to the UK from Africa where it breeds. Migrants then set off to Europe in March.

They are very strong fliers and we are currently looking at some very large numbers arriving in the south of the UK. Some years the numbers are huge and my feeling is this is a very good year - like 2006.

Some then breed here and some carry on further North.

I suspect yours will stay and (hopefully) has already bred. It is not in tip-top condition for finding a mate!

Wings get tattered by bushes and ripped by birds, it is surprising how much damage they can take without stopping them flying.

I am sure you will soon find some more attractive looking specimens if you keep a look out.

best wishes

peter
    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the information Peter, It's surprising just how much damage they are able to take and still fly..amazing, I guess that's nature

Comment

Neil

I uploaded this one so you can compare the patterns on what remains of his wings..

You will find one like this moves somewhat faster!

Peter
        Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Yes my one does look a bit sad in comparison, nice shot by the way

Let's hope the next one I come across has a bit more meat on the bones.

Comment

Hi Neil -

Your title is quite apt. Pleased to learn it still has a life even though his flaps are in such poor condition.

Regards. Barr1e
            Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Working...
            X