Field test of MC-20 + 300 F/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field test of MC-20 + 300 F/4

I recently ordered and got delivered an MC-20 and decided to put it to a field test today. The light was good with slight overcast skies however it was quite windy. After an hour or two trecking, I located a small flock with Bearded reedlings in a feeding mood and deployed my portable hide on the bank of the reed bed and seized the opportunity. It lasted 10-15 minutes and then the flock had left.

It was a pure pleasure using the 300 F/4 + MC 20 + EM-1 M2 handheld. C-AF came in handy as the reed was swaying in the wind forcing me to track the perched birds. The image quality is excellent, I was not expecting that good results wide open.

Before leaving I also took some photos with the 300 F/2.8 + EC20. Kindly note it was coupled with the EM-1 M1 as I don't want to mess around switching bodies and lenses while the action was taking place. CAF won't perform that well on 3/3 lenses so used SAF and the yield was lower as expected. When pixel-peeping the RAWs I assess the absolute resolution and finest detail rendering being a tad better than on the 300 F/4 and the background is as expected more pleasant since there is 1 F-stop advantage.

Sharing some samples that I am quite pleased with.

Thanks for looking,
    Tord

E-M1 M2 + 300 F/4 + MC-20 @F8, 1/500s, ISO 640

E-M1 M1 + 300 F/2.8 + EC-20 @F/5.7, 1/1000s, ISO 800

My Gallery on 500px

Re: Field test of MC-20 + 300 F/4

They look good!

Comment

Yes, they all look really good to me Tord. I wish you wouldn't keep posting all these excellent shots of 'Beardies' as I am getting rather envious.

Ron

Comment

Fantastic shots of the Beardlings! Thanks for sharing these and your findings. Also impressed that you carried the heavy 300f2.8 on an outing "for an hour or two trecking". I still have a 90-250mm f2.8 4/3 lens and I rarely carry it around these days due to the weight as I now have to 300F4 m3/4 lens. I do miss the f2.8 aperture though!
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/macg33zr/

Comment

Beautiful shots and what a cracking comparison Tord well done. A great reference for anyone wondering about the quality of the Olympus x2 converters. I think Olympus should definitely give you ambassador status. Maybe we should start a campaign on the forum
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Yes a superb set of photos, I must admit to hesitating to go for the extra reach with the MC-20, and am sticking with the 1.4 for the moment. But I usually do my birding on the hoof, which means walking, and aiming quickly. I should take you hint about sitting still for this type of photography...
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Beautiful shots of beautiful little birds. Well done
              Junk on Flickr
              Even more Junk on Instagram

Comment

Tordan,

Really glad you've done a side by side comparison of the two lenses and converters.

I hired Ians 4/3 300 f2.8 and EC converters, knowing the m4/3 300 f? was in development, using this combination convinced me to swap from the Panasonic G3 I had to the E-M1, with the expectation that the synchronised image stabilisation was going to be worth it. I've not been disappointed by the move!

One unexpected side effect of using the MC-20 is that on a dull day like today where the MC is too limiting, the bare lens is so much easier to use than I used to find it.

I keep looking at your photos and they inspire me to try harder! I don't think I've managed to get anywhere near your photos yet, but I keep trying!
                I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

The MC-20 is now on my Christmas wish list.
                    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                    Flickr

Comment

very interesting indeed , I have the em1.m2 and a 50-200swd plus ec-14 and have been pondering the ec.20 ,you might have swayed my decision

Comment

Please bear in mind I used the 300/F2.8. 50-200 SWD + EC20 has its limitations. It will be a challenge to get results as sharp as the ones that I shared. There is a thread on the forum about this combo: https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthr...t=13640&page=6 Just to raise to your attention before you spend money on a 2.0 TC and get disappointed.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Thanks looking at the prices last night I’ll probably give it a miss , pension funds are maxed out for now anyway .LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X