Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

A Sun Kissed Grevillia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sun Kissed Grevillia.

This Grevillea (possibly Grevillea 'Misty Pink') looked good in the mid-morning sun, so with longer lens on, this was the result.

KA166934[C1-12]adj by Ross, on Flickr
    E-M1 II & MC20+40-150mm f2.8 lens at 300mm f5.6 & edited in Capture One.

The plant had been bought from the 'sad plant' stand with a yellow flower tag, but it has grown well with misty pink flowers instead. 'Misty Pink' is a well known cultivar of the Grevilleas & so the label may have been wrong to start with.

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Re: A Sun Kissed Grevillea.

Thanks Barr1e & OM USer for your likes.

Ross
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Re: A Sun Kissed Grevillia.

It does look good. I haven't seen one of these before (at least I don't remember) - most unusual.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Re: A Sun Kissed Grevillea.

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        It does look good. I haven't seen one of these before (at least I don't remember) - most unusual.
        Thanks John.

Grevilleas are a widespread variety of species & in the same Proteaceae family as the African Protea as our Banksias & Waratah also are. I can't believe I mispelled Grevillea in the title though.

Here is a Grevillea known in the Blue Mountains & our backyard (Grevillea buxifolia ssp. phylicoides) with a quite small flower cluster (up to 2 cm across) compared to Grevillea 'Misty Pink' (cultivar) where the flower cluster is about 10cm long.

Another common cultivar is the Grevillea 'Robyn Gordon' & I wouldn't be surprised if that is available in the UK as well.

K9013356-adj by Ross, on Flickr

Ross

Comment

It’s an odd looking plant. I like it and these photos. I also like the processing - I have the Sony Only version of C1 and have been very impressed with its output compared to Lightroom.

Comment

Thanks for that. You & the others have inspired me to go & photograph more of the Grevilleas we have growing in our place, with many grown as cultivars. I will post a new thread of them as I get to process the ones I want.

Ross

Comment

You can get Grevilleas in the UK, but most of them are either Canberra Gem, or one or two others. I’ve been collecting them for years and love them. Many will grow outdoors in the UK. I did have a Robyn Gordon until this summer - and it has the most gorgeous brilliant red flowers - but is quite unhappy to dry out, and mine turned up its toes while I was away for two weeks this summer. The neighbour who watered the garden somehow didn’t give it quite enough. I have hopes for a couple of cuttings! I really should post some images.....
              Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
              Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
              Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Originally posted by cinders View Post
                You can get Grevilleas in the UK, but most of them are either Canberra Gem, or one or two others. I’ve been collecting them for years and love them. Many will grow outdoors in the UK. I did have a Robyn Gordon until this summer - and it has the most gorgeous brilliant red flowers - but is quite unhappy to dry out, and mine turned up its toes while I was away for two weeks this summer. The neighbour who watered the garden somehow didn’t give it quite enough. I have hopes for a couple of cuttings! I really should post some images.....
                I don't think we have had the Canberra Gem, but have had one similar, considering a lot of these are cultivars anyhow & we managed to kill off them too.
                Ross

Comment

I've now added more Grevilleas in this new thread, "A selection of Grevilleas in our garden."
                  Ross

Comment

Working...
                  X