Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Finally... Panurus biarmicus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally... Panurus biarmicus!

Finally, after numerous visits to this place, I managed to locate two couples of Bearded reedlings. The last time I spotted them here was 5 years ago and I must have been passing by the place a hundred times without any sights of them. Now, the reed bed is immense and this species is quite a rare sight here with high mortality during harsh winters causing the population to drop to near zero as a result of starvation.

Most of the time these iconic birds were busy feeding out of sight but were kind enough to pose for a few moments at acceptable photo distance, 20 meters perhaps.

Below are crops of photos taken with the 300 F/4 + MC14. I wish I had brought my big gun (700mm scope) that day...

Thanks for looking,
    Tord

Female:

Male:

Couple. They would not pose in the same focal plane, either male or female would be sharp.

My Gallery on 500px

Re: Finally... Panurus biarmicus!

Beautiful, delicate shots of these stunning birds Tord. I love the pose of the male in number two. Apparently they have been gathering together in large flocks here recently before dispersing but I haven't managed to find them yet.

Ron

Comment

Beautiful captures of these beautiful birds.

Comment

! and 2 are spectacular!

Jim

Comment

Beautiful shots Tord.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Superb shots.
            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Very well done!

A very handsome species.

Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
              X