Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Greek trip, long and short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek trip, long and short

So, I got brave this last holiday and just took the Panasonic 14-140 lens, and the Oly 8mm fisheye lens cap thing. That's it. One serious lens.

I have to say the 10:1 zoom was nowhere near as bad as I feared it might be. It is actually rather good.

Definitely a keeper.

Meanwhile - I am depressed by the number of pictures I took on my (Google Pixel) phone. However, I still maintain that a camera is obviously not a phone, and similarly a phone isn't really a camera.

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Greek trip, long and short

I took the toy fisheye because it takes up no space and weighs nothing, and produces results that are good enough if you clean up the chromatic aberration at the edges..

It certainly saved the day on several occasions when the 14-140 wasn't wide enough

Comment

I have always been dubious of the two body cap f/8 lenses(15mm and 9mm) but you have achived a good result with that fisheye. I may have to think again.
      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

I had the 15mm and it didn't do a lot for me, but the (ahem) 9mm does have a function.
        Beware the manual focus lever (oh, remember the Olympus XA2...). First of all it closes the lens flap and leaves you with a black viewfinder for apparently no reason. Next it has infinity and hyperfocal clicks. It also has a close focus setting and that really is close. You actually can get a touch of DoF (see the cat picture) if you try.

It makes a mess in the corners with contrasty stuff so you either sort it out or live with it. Generally, it's not that bad and so tiny..

Comment

I've never got the best from the 9mm - You seem to be doing pretty well with it though, so I'll have to give it some more time.

Comment

I've found the Lumix 14-140 great as a travel lens too so I'm not surprised you liked it for travelling light. In fact I did pretty much everything with it before I got a 12-100. I'd probably still use it for holidays if my daughter hadn't half inched it!
            Nice images Pete and you did really well with the little 8mm too.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
            X