Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Mara River Crossings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mara River Crossings

The second instalment of my Maasai Mara trip.

https://www.microcontrast.com/new-bl...iver-crossings
    Regards,
    Mark

------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Re: Mara River Crossings

Simply stunning photos Mark !

Jax

Comment

Amazing photographs and brilliant text Mark. Great stuff.

Ron

Comment

Wow! Wow! Wow! Amazing photographs Mark. A great article / blog overall.
        Larry

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
        Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

Comment

Got to agree with the others absolutely superb images and narrative. I didn't think I was too bothered about going on safari in my dotage but you are starting to change my mind. My guess is that you'll have enough photographic work for a great exhibition when you've finished.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Very nice photos framed by informative narrative. Thanks for sharing.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Many thanks, everyone.
              Frankly it was difficult not to get decent images with the opportunities on offer plus the experienced advice from the Wild-Eye photo guides and drivers.

The Oly gear worked very well for me - having 2 bodies with the 40-150 f2.8 on one and the 300 f4 on the other (+/- 1.4 converters when the light allowed) was a good way to cover most of the bases. Although having a panny 100-400 instead of the 300 would have added some flexibility, I don't think I'd actually have got any better images, just different ones. I do know the field of view of the 300 very well now, so I know when to reach for it and when not to.

I also took the 15 f1.7 and the 45 f1.2, which were really useful around camp (more images to come on that), plus my IR converted M10ii with 12-32 (again, more to come). The only gear I took but didn't use was the Laowa 7.5 f2, but that's no carriage.

This was a real bucket-list tickoff for me.
              Regards,
              Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Great set of photos there Mark, a real pleasure to see.
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I really enjoyed the narrative and photos. It should inspire Phill D and others to take the plunge. There's nowhere quite like Africa for getting stunning wildlife photos. Our next trip is pencilled in for February.
                  David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Originally posted by Melaka View Post
                    I really enjoyed the narrative and photos. It should inspire Phill D and others to take the plunge. There's nowhere quite like Africa for getting stunning wildlife photos. Our next trip is pencilled in for February.
                    Regards,
                    Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

We'll be back to the Kruger again, probably for a fortnight which will give time to do the northern part where we haven't been for several years. For anyone thinking of going the SAN Parks website has loads of useful info, especially for those new to safari, https://www.sanparks.org/forums/

Even with the depressed pound you get a lot of Rand and the cost of living isn't very high anyway. There can be few more self drive friendly parks than the Kruger.
                      David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Great.
                        We must get back to the Kruger, too.
                        I'd fancy spending at least a day or two doing the walking safaris available in the north of the Park - Pafuri is one of the places, I think.
                        Regards,
                        Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

We've never done a walking safari and as as we're both over 75 I think the time may have passed for that. Several camps do them. There are also a few driving trails only open to 4x4 which you have to book in camp. These are distinct from the 4x4 trails marked on the map and only require a 4x4 to avoid damaging the track by wheelspin if it is wet. We may be tempted to hire a 4x4 so as to be able to do one. Usually we hire a 4x2 RAV4.
                          David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Originally posted by Melaka View Post
                            We've never done a walking safari and as as we're both over 75 I think the time may have passed for that. Several camps do them. There are also a few driving trails only open to 4x4 which you have to book in camp. These are distinct from the 4x4 trails marked on the map and only require a 4x4 to avoid damaging the track by wheelspin if it is wet. We may be tempted to hire a 4x4 so as to be able to do one. Usually we hire a 4x2 RAV4.
                            Regards,
                            Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Mana Pools remains my most favourite National Park. We camped there while paddling canoes down the Zambezi back in the late 1980s and went for a game drive in the back of an old Land Rover before heading off back to Kariba, where we had left our cars.

Now that will have me looking up all my old photos which I have scanned from slide into digital.
                              Larry

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
                              Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

Comment

Working...
                              X