Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Betoota - Population: 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betoota - Population: 0

For the past couple of weeks I have been wandering around central and south-western Queensland in my trusty Subaru Forester with swag, bloody big esky (cooler box), photogrphic equipment and laptop computer in the back.

This is the route that I have followed: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/68+R...5213!3e0?hl=en

I am now back home in Brisbane where I have a decent internet connection at last. On the second-last day of my tour, I paid a quick visit to the ghost town of Betoota in south-western Queensland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betoota,_Queensland

The following photos were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II using the Zuiko 12-100mm f4 IS PRO lens.

Betoota - Population: 0.

The Betoota Hotel - The only building left in town

The Betoota Hotel - The only building left in town

Across the road from the Betoota Hotel is this...

The road home....
    Last edited by griffljg; 12th September 2019, 12:59 PM. Reason: Add map of route followed
    Larry

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
    Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Re: Betoota - Population: 0

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
      Cool photos, Larry, looks hot ………...
      Thanks Mark. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that hot. There was a (relatively) cool breeze blowing and the temperature was only in the lower 20s Celsius when I was there. It was dry though. My lips were chapped. My skin was dry and flaky. It was a pleasure to get home to Brisbane this afternoon.

But do we need rain My grass is brown and dead.
      Larry

Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

Comment

Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks. My home is safe for now, but friends of mine live in Peregian Springs on the Sunshine Coast. They were all evacuated, but have now been allowed back into their homes. Some homes were destroyed. Fortunately there has been no loss of (human) life so far.
            Larry

Comment

The town taxi looks a bit rough!

I hear that you've got a severe drought there, with rivers drying up.

Jim

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Looks a bit too crowded for me.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I see there is a racetrack there, with some modernish buildings...
                    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Here's a bit more on Betoota: http://www.thediamantina.com.au/betoota/
                      Larry

Comment

Thanks Larry...………..

The publican, Simon Remienko, was the sole resident of Betoota for many years, and was famous for once being stranded on the Birdsville Track for 18 weeks with his 8 tonne truckload of beer.

On purpose I guess. Sounds like a true Aussie...…...You can't beat that....
                        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

What an impressive series, Larry. Not easy to shoot such successful images of bugger all, as it were! I like you compositions throughout. You have captured the essence of outback Australia.
                          My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                          The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                          On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Actually, I take that back. It looks like salt bush (if I'm correct) which probably could take off on fire if started.

Originally posted by griffljg View Post
                            Thanks. My home is safe for now, but friends of mine live in Peregian Springs on the Sunshine Coast. They were all evacuated, but have now been allowed back into their homes. Some homes were destroyed. Fortunately there has been no loss of (human) life so far.
                            Glad to hear you & your place are OK.

Ross
                            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                              The publican, Simon Remienko, was the sole resident of Betoota for many years, and was famous for once being stranded on the Birdsville Track for 18 weeks with his 8 tonne truckload of beer.
                              I guess that the truck was overloaded by adding a crate of sherry for the ladies!

(Castlemaine advert!)

Comment

Working...
                              X